Tips or Tricks?

Garrett12

So I am about to paint my fish and once it is done I would really like to avoid scratches; two particular area's come to mind. First is where the tiller meets the deck, the last tiller with extension i had, had a bolt going through it and tended to scratch up the deck; now, thanks to sailcraftri, i have the rudder conversion kit, tiller and extension with out a bolt going through it :). So this spot im not too worried about

The other spot that I am most concerned about is where the lower boom meets the deck between the bow handle and the coaming. I noticed some pretty heavy scratching there.

Anyone have any idea's on how to prevent this? or is it just something that has to happen.

Garrett

I would suggest just raise the boom a bit (tie the halyard lower on the top spar). Even when set up for racing with the boom low and the gooseneck in the correct position, it shouldn't ever rub. A little extra insurance on the tiller is to glue a piece (about 1 x 3) of Velcro (the softer part) right underneath where the extension attaches to the tiller.

'what imported_andybsaid'!

Two things on the spars:

a. Have a look at the part that specifically scraps - is it the end of the little eye- bolt and nut? Probably so, and you might put a few layers of some thick duct tape over it. Others might have better ideas for a protective covering, but a few layers of high quality tape work for me.

And b., Most scraping occurs when raising the sail rather than when it is already up and sailing. Kids ( and my good friend Ed) are particularly prone to just pulling on the halyard to raise the sail without regard to the obvious consequences. Try to raise the sail carefully, with one hand on the spars.

As an aside, this can have the additional benefit of improving the life of the mast cap, where halyards, especially higher tech lines, saw that groove in the cap we so often see.. That also is 100percent avoidable, the groove is from raising the sail using the halyard only to pull the load up.

As i_a suggested, check the tiller to see if there is still any scraping point, and neatly tape over that also.

For the foredeck, install an outhaul cap with the tab pointing down on the bow end of the lower spar. That will keep the interlocking bolt off of the deck. Use one hand to pull the halyard and the other to help the lower spar up and down. That will also save your splashguard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

Back