Tiller / rudder issues

pez

A friend and I got a good deal on an old Laser, and we are both new to the sport and to the boat. I am thinking it's nearly 20 years old... the guy we bought it from bought it sixteen years ago and thought it was "pretty old" when he bought it.

Please let me qualify my statements by mentioning that my grasp of specific sailing terms is very limited right now.

Anyway, my question is about the tiller... frankly, it kinda sucks... the tiller handle doesnt not go all the way into the sleeve above the rudder, and though there are two holes in this sleeve for the retaining pin, you can only use the foreward hole (closest to bow). This creates a good deal of "play" in the tiller... it still works, but it's annoying and I'm sure also allows the rudder to move underwater, even if the tiller is stationary.

Is ther anser here to modify the tiller handle so it inserts all the way inot the sleeve and get a 2nd retaining pin, or is the answer to get a new rudder / tiller assy?

Second question, the line that extends from the top of the rudder and cleats off on the port side of the tiller handle is often "stuck" between the bottom of the tiller handle and the hull, and creates friction as you move the tiller handle. There is an "evidence mark" on the hull that seems to indicate this situation has been present for many years of this boats life. Is there a better approach to routing this line?

Great forum, you guys seem to really know your stuff.

Bash the tiller in as far as you can to prevent slop, if it is timber you can sand it for a better fit but it is better to use more force and less sanding.
The line that hold the rudder down, pull the line up through the gudgeon on the starboard side of the tiller, pass it across the top of the tiller and then around once more and into the cleat. You will end up with the line spiraling around the tiller with the line crossing the top of the tiller once before the traveller and once more after the traveller on the way to the cleat. This will stop the line rubbing on the gunnel as it is held off by passing under tension between the gudgeon and the tiller.
Darryn 169711

Back