Tiller Rigging

Hi - can anyone suggest a good set up for rigging the rudder/ tiller. Also how to adjust the angle of the tiller - mine tends to brush against the traveller cleat, a few millimeters would fix it.

I have got myself a megabolt, an optiparts cam cleat and some rivets. Are there any pictures/ descriptions of best place to position the cleat and a good way of tying down the downhaul -- its a carbon tiller.

Thanks 4 any help

Is it a brand new tiller ? What brand ?

If it's brand new, I would take it back, the current ones I have seen easily clear the trav cleat.

To change the angle it exits the rudder head, you need to remove material at the top/front of the wedge and the bottom/aft area of the wedge.

The cleat should be just behind the trav (that's roughly 6" from the transom) to keep the downhaul line as short as possible. Use a good low stretch line and rig a 2-1 purchase - either in between the pintles or between the clear and the transom. The following shows the purchase between the transom and the cleat (well, not really a cleat, but you'll get the idea)

http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/articles/ltiller.pdf

Do a search here on tiller downhaul, we've had a bunch of other discussions on this and there is more info out there.

49208 - Thanks for this and lots of info on the other threads - i reckon I can get something fixed up now. Its a second hand boat c/w tiller - dont know brand. There was originally a horn cleat screwed (!) in and this came off - so rivets sound better than screwing the camcleat in. I had thought I might also rivet in a button for purchase fwd of the cleat and reverse the cleat - if not will, follow the set up on the rooster link exchanging button for cleat - cheers.

BTW (sorry, complete change of subject) - I have seen several good comments on various subjects from dr laser - but dead links - any other way to access dr laser.org?

Back