Tiller Mount Through Bolt

TSThornton

Hi all! New to the forum. I have an older Sunfish with the old style tiller (rudder? I don't know the proper terms) mount. The bolt that runs through the hull that holds the upper and lower mounting bits has broken and sunk. I've tried replacing it with a piece of allthread, but that soft metal breaks too easily. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement and/or let me know what the piece is properly named so I can search for it?

Thank you!
Travis
Winthrop, WA

Are you referring to the bronze carriage bolt with the wing-nut? The bolt doesn't exactly run through the hull, but rather the slot in the transom. I believe is 1/4 -20 , although I cannot remember how long it is.

I am out of the country at the moment and can't easily check, but I just checked around the web and it seems to be 7 1/2" or 8". It that's what you need Jamestown Distributor carries carriage bolts of that size. An 8" bolt is 9.52 plus shipping. They can likely sell you a single wing nut as well, but you will have to call them. You don't need a whole box!

If that is the piece you are looking for you will also need the nylon tube that goes over the carriage bolt as it stabilizes the rudder. McMaster Carr can sell you that bit. I can measure the outside diameter when I get home, but I am sure someone here will chime in with the dimensions.

When I looked up the carriage bolt size, there was someone selling stainless bolts at $23.99 plus shipping. I would not go that route. Mixed metals is a galvanic problem and stainless is complete overkill.

Hope that helps.

Thank you! That's how much of a noob I am that I don't know about Jamestown Distributor.

I'm currently quite far from the boat so I can't measure the needed length or diameter of the bolt, but I recall that getting the length right on a not fully threaded bolt is critical. Can someone tell me the correct length and diameter? I appreciate it.

Back