Tiller Length for Leisure Sailing

jmgardner

Just got a conversion kit to change my rudder over and planning to tackle that this weekend...however in the meantime the new tiller with extension seems awfully long for leisure sailing (no hiking allowed)...any ideas on good, clean ways to shorten it and/or the extension?
I seemed to recall some people talking about doing such but a search turned up very little....ideas?

Any ideas on what I can do to the new rudder to keep it in good shape - fiberglass the edges, etc?

(Remember, no racing ideas.....)

Thanks a ton,

If you're not hiking you're not having fun!!
Just saw off the end of the tiller and re-drill any holes needed for the extension.

Fred

jmg,

You must be sailing in winds less than 5 mph and just barely drifting (but getting a good tan). Hiking out when the winds are a little stronger is part of the fun as Fred states. Try the length as is before you do any cutting, would hate to have to replace the tiller because you cut it too short. Suggest you leave the length of the tiller (wood part 44") as is and maybe replace the wood extension (24") with an aluminum one such as the Ronstan RF 3129 (33") or similar. If you are not sitting on the side and forward and are sitting at the back of the cockpit, you are droping the transom deep into the water and slowing your SF even further. The extra length may seem to be in the way at first, but you will get use to it. And should the wind suddenly increase, you will have the length to hike out and balance the boat until you can get back to shore.

Back