Tiller extension

mmadge

I am going to try and extend my Carbon Tiller extension by sleeving two Carbon Tubes together.The one piece has 1" O.D. the other has 3/4" O.D. any sugestions on how to would be appreciated .

What is the ID on the 1" tube ? If it's more then 3/4" and the smaller tube will fit inside the larger, that is the direction I would go. If you need to build up thickness on the smaller tube outer diameter, you can wrap with glass/epoxy or an epoxy bog mix

Yes the ID is more than 3/4".That is what I was thinking is inserting the smaller diameter tube into the larger.
So you are saying just use thickend epoxy on the smaller tube to build it up.Should I then wrap with fiber glass or Carbon fiber tape (both tubes are Carbon fiber)?
I was also thinging of drilling and thru bolting the two pieces together.

I would not advise drilling and through bolting. Maybe use epoxy bog to do the initial joint then wrap the join in carbon tape and resin to give addition strength and make it look nice.

As long as you rough up and remove all surface contaminants prior to bonding, the joint area is going to be stronger than either of the tubes individually, so wrapping layers externally is just going to add additional weight.

If you are worried about them pulling apart w/o bolting, look at the universal joint on the Acme tiller extensions. It is just bonded in place with epoxy bog, no thru bolts. (And it can be a real challenge to remove the joint when it's time to replace it)

The gap is even larger with the universal (~1/2" OD ) and the Fatso or Fatso junior extensions and the epoxy bog works just fine. Very strong compressive strength. Pic below gives an idea of the amount of bog used to fill the gap (universal is buried in the middle)

Snap128.jpg

Wrapping with fiberglass or carbon (overkill IMHO) to build up the thickness will work as well, it will just add a little more additional weight.

The gap is even larger with the universal (~1/2" OD ) and the Fatso or Fatso junior extensions and the epoxy bog works just fine. Very strong compressive strength. Pic below gives an idea of the amount of bog used to fill the gap (universal is buried in the middle)

View attachment 10584

Wrapping with fiberglass or carbon (overkill IMHO) to build up the thickness will work as well, it will just add a little more additional weight.
How do you get the epoxy to bog like that?I assume it is West Epoxy.

Yes the ID is more than 3/4".That is what I was thinking is inserting the smaller diameter tube into the larger.
So you are saying just use thickend epoxy on the smaller tube to build it up.Should I then wrap with fiber glass or Carbon fiber tape (both tubes are Carbon fiber)?
I was also thinging of drilling and thru bolting the two pieces together.

I've done this exactly, and it's been successful. Just be sure to rough up and clean all the surfaces first.

Back