Tiller extension

Sailkb

I am just checking in on my little project this weekend. I have had the old style tiller extension that continues to jab you in the back when tacking. I actually was pretty used to it (used it all summer) but finally got my tiller universal, which was on backorder for almost a month. I removed my old wooden extension and cut an old 3 iron golf club from the basement to size, sanded it up and painted. I wrapped part of it with baseball bat tape, and capped the end with a badmitton birdie. I've sailed twice and it will take some getting used to, but anyway, here it is. Only thing left to do is figure out how to attach the steel shaft golf club to the universal. Broke two drill bits trying to drill a hole through the steel shaft so I could run a bolt through.

Old style.jpgUniversal.jpgextension.jpg

That golf club shaft may be made of stainless steel—which will break drill bits—just as the bit "breaks-through". Try fitting a wood dowel inside to support both sides of the shaft.

A similar adaptation was mentioned here recently—using a telescoping ski-pole. :cool:

I'd like to make one long enough to NOT get stuck under the traveler! :confused:

The blue top is original. As far as I can trace I am the 4th owner, it's a '68 or'69. It has obviously been covered well or inside much of it's life. I have sailed it quite a bit this summer and managed to get some scratches on it, so I would like to paint or do something during the winter to brighten it back up. .....thanks for the compliment :)

I have a similar hull, with bright colors. If you wanted to brigten it up, I would recommend wet-sanding if it is original. I wet-sanded with 800-2000 grit paper, and then used 3m cleaner and wax. I could see my reflection in the deck afterwards. Much easier than painting.

Attachments

• Sunfish 110.jpg
    Sunfish 110.jpg
    873 KB · Views: 87
Thanks for the advice. I plan to post this winter once I get to this project and I'll make a plan then. The simpler, the better. If sanding and buffing will do the job, that's fine. One issue I will address is the scratches the front of the boom put on my deck before I realized there was a bolt on the bottom. I need to reconfigure that as well to prevent. Anyway, still time to sail where I am so I'll think more about this later. :)

One issue I will address is the scratches the front of the boom put on my deck before I realized there was a bolt on the bottom. I need to reconfigure that as well to prevent. Anyway, still time to sail where I am so I'll think more about this later. :)
No need to 'reconfigure'. Just use a halyard that doesn't stretch and tie the halyard to the gaff so it won't slip.

PS: When you lower the sail, support the front end of the boom with your hand, so the nut won't scratch the deck.

My lowering of the sail/boom has been the culprit. I was careless early on until I realized what was happening. I have wrapped it with a covering to prevent but looks pretty crummy. I need to learn to be in less hurry.

Back