Tiller Extension

Rocky

I manage a fleet of 30 rental Sunfish at Rockywold-Deephaven Camps on Squam Lake in New Hampshire (Dirty Dancing meets On Golden Pond).

Our guests are rough on the tiller extensions, particularly the aluminum type. Can I use the Universal Omniflex (Part # 20-90-0) to replace the joint or do I need to buy the tiller extension kit (part # 79465)? Has anyone had success replacing the omniflex joint?

Thanks,

Rocky

You should be able to replace any one of four parts separately. . . There's 1. a housing that fastens to the tiller, 2. a flexible joint with a ball on one end and a socket for the aluminum extension on the other, 3. a cover that locks the ball to the housing, and 4. the extension itself. Mine LOOKS exactly like the Ronstan Battlestick. I have had to replace the flexible joint on other boats, and it's easy. BobF

Thanks for the info. The Ronstan Universal that comes with the battlestick is difficult to remove from the tiller extension - especially after it has broken. Has anyone used other universal joints that are easier to replace?

Hmm! Mine ( two of them, that is) have always broken off closer to the tiller end (the ball). I just drill out the rivet or file off and drive out the pin holding the flex in the extension and pull it out with a pair of pliers. I guess if it breaks at the extension it would be tougher. . . as a last recourse, might you push it into the tubing to make room for the new one? . . hesitate to suggest cutting an inch or so off the extension!!

I rent my Sunfish too, but my solution to this issue has nothing to do with that. My experience is with the wooden tiller extention. Solution: Cut off an inch or so off both tiller & ext. to eliminate the factory through bolt. Obtain a Holt/Allen universal tiller ext. bracket #HA4098. This part seems custom made for the Sunfish. If you wish to hold the ext. against the tiller, use velcro glued on. Works for me!

Thanks for the info! I have ordered a few of the Holt Allen Universals and will use them on the older wood tiller extensions. Regarding the aluminum extensions, I have found that the models I had difficulty removing the universals did not have a rivet, but were pinched in to hold the universal in place. Many of the newer Battlesticks have the rivet and should be easier to replace. Best regards, Rocky.

Aha! The pinch would make a difference. Maybe you could just saw off a little piece of the extension and drill to rivet onto the new flex joint.

A cheap way around the aluminum question is PVC pipe for the extension. Fits either universal. It gets bent or broken it's only a couple bucks. I have grey ones for my kids. To make it fancy you could put a "T" on the end and tape over it so folks know where it ends, or simply wrap with electrical tape with enough wraps at the end that you can tell by feel where the end of the hiking stick is. :cool:

Rocky,

My goodness! Seems like this week I've got a few people taking my words of advice to heart. To hell with the nay sayers! Let me know how you make out!

Al

If you don't want to cut the tiller and wood hiking stick, tape over the hole on the bottom, mix up some epoxy, fill up the holes, let them set, then drill and use them as if they were wood. No giving up original length!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Now I have to re-varnish about 10 tillers and rudders and I will have the right parts to put them back together. Thanks again, Rocky.

Gail.

I typically cut quite a bit off my tillers & ext. I like the tiller to be able to pass behind me when sitting aft in the cockpit.

Al

How 'bout that! I need all the length I can get so I can reach gooseneck, cunningham, etc., while I'm racing. I don't worry so much about that "cruising" set up ... IF I'm lazing in the back, I'll lean forward as necessary ...

Back