Tiller extension length

Flying Monkey

Over the winter sometime I lost my tiller extension and need to make a new one by tonight. I was hoping someone could help me out with the length, I know the 'good' carbon fibre ones are 48", what I'm looking for is the standard/minimum length for an aluminium timmer extension.

thanks

Std alum ones from Vanguard are also 48". They used to be 42" which is a too short if you are hiking flat out and like to keep your hands high on your body or across your body.

If it were me, I would start long, you can always cut it down if you want to...

i think mines 48 its an amazing carbon one but i remember that the aluminm was to small so ya like 49208 said make it longer you can cut it down.

Just bought a 48", still did not sail with it but I'm convinced that it is a bit too long. I'm tall 6,2 and hike like crazy.

i have a 48" n i'm only 5ft 9 its much better i don't like sailing with short extensions anymore, what eva class its in. ive just got used to having the length where i want it

Cenutrio said:
Just bought a 48", still did not sail with it but I'm convinced that it is a bit too long. I'm tall 6,2 and hike like crazy.

I'm 6'3" and felt the same way about the 48" one. However, I found out my hiking style was bad, and since correcting the issues, 48" seems just about right.

Thanks everyone fo ryour responses.
I'm 6'3" and on occasion I've used a carbon extension (shortened I think), and I always found it to be a little too long, tacking it always seemed to be in the way. I think 40"-44" should be a good length.

I am a lake sailor and find my self switching from low to high side occasionally. The 48'' extention is long and you have to make a quick turn to get out of the way of the main sheet. I don't like to use it on light air days. But in any sort of breeze I love it.

I sail with two differant lenghts, a 44" for light air and have to change sides alot without tacking, and I keep a 50" in my bag for hardcore hiking, I'm 6'3" and can get alot of me out of the boat.

Back