Tiller extension and daggerboard

tsunshine

I just bought my first sunfish. it is a 1968 in fairly decent condition (for being almost 40 years old I'd say great condition), I'll post pics later. Anyway I learned on these many years ago and hadn't really sailed much since, but today I took her out for her first spin. I realized how much I miss sailing.

I also realized I am missing a part that now seems kind of key, the tiller extension. I need to know how long these are. one website said 36" another said 30". I was wondering if you guys had any preferences for length or what worked best. I guess I could always make it longer and cut it down, but why not do it right the first time.
Also what type of wood are those made out of? I am sure it is some kind of hardwood, but which kind. I am sure oak or similar would work, but again if anyone know what they are actually made of that would be helpful.

Lastly how long should a daggerboard be? Mine seems to be much shorter than the ones you buy online and much shorter than I remember them. Seems like something I could easily build rather than buy.

All the tillers and the wooden extensions are made from ash dyed to resemble mahagany. It's important to find wood with straight grain along the length of the tiller/extension. Cross or angled grains will break.
The extension can be any length and the main limitations are clearing the mainsheet when tacking or the bridle if swinging it around on top of the tiller. IIRC 36" will clear.
As for the dagger board the class rules page has diagrams of both old and new boards with dimensions.

To extend a bit on Mike's post, the 'optimum' length will also depend on what kind of sailing you do and how tall you are. If you do a lot of hiking and are tall, a longer extension is preferable, but a longer stick requires practice because it makes tacking a bit more difficult.
Ronstan and RWO are the brands most often seen on Sunfish. These metal extensions requires a plastic saddle (not interchangeable between the brands) that is screwed into the tiller. I believe that the stock extension that comes with (the 'race' version of) a new boat is either 33' or 34'.

New boats come with a 33" extension on the recreational package and a 36" extension on the racing package. They are both alluminum extensions (Ronstan or RWO). You can purchase either for $30 - $40. Some racers actually use extensions over 40", and some are carbon fiber.

Back