Tiller and rudder connection

Zac

So I've been having a hell of a time with my tiller, the line on the rudder that goes through the jam cleat on the tiller won't lock in, I've done all kinds of crazy tie jobs and such but the rudder always works loose. There is a hole in the top of the rudder for inserting a pin but I don't have a hole in my carbon tiller. Would it ruin or significantly weaken the tiller if I drilled a small hole there? The slop when the rudder works loose makes it very hard to feel the boat.

I could also get some new line for the rudder but I've tried 2 kinds now and can't seem to find anything that will stick.

well is it your tiler that is loose or is it that the tiller just comes out? cuse i have a problem that my tiller is work down so i build it up everytime i go sailing with good old electrical tape..I find this helps and it cut down and eliminates all slop.

When the tiller is pushed firmly into the top of the rudder, it is very tight and holds nicely. Since I end up pulling on it while sailing it works loose because the line doesn't hold well in the cleat. I am going to order the rudder line listed in the performance package from aps, guess I should try that first. Anyone have a good picture of the way the line should be run through the rudder to the tiller, I've tried several ways and heard several opinions and yet to find one that works well.

Zac said:
When the tiller is pushed firmly into the top of the rudder, it is very tight and holds nicely. Since I end up pulling on it while sailing it works loose because the line doesn't hold well in the cleat. I am going to order the rudder line listed in the performance package from aps, guess I should try that first. Anyone have a good picture of the way the line should be run through the rudder to the tiller, I've tried several ways and heard several opinions and yet to find one that works well.

Maybe it's the cleat and not the line?

Merrily

If you aren't using a purchase, I would suggest starting with that. You don't mention what type of jam cleat it is, but if it's the standard one on the Acme tiller, it's got a bridge across it which you can use for a 2-1 purchase.

The link to the Rooster site shows how to do a simple purchase and not even use the cleat, just tieing it off. http://www.roostersailing.com/articles/INFO_2r_tiller_set_up.htm

As far as drilling the carbon, you can, without weakening it, but having the pin on top will just add one more object to catch the mainsheet in jibes.

For the rudder downhaul line 5/32" line works well. It cleats well in the clam cleat that Acme uses w/o problems...

Actually, seems like I have the line run inside my rudder incorrectly. That might be the first thing to try.

Also, its just the regular plastic jam cleat that comes with the acme tiller. Good call on the pin getting caught, no reason to do so if I can solve it other ways. I'm going to wait for the recommended line and try that as well.

My carbon tiller did this as well so I bit the bullet and drilled a hole. I use a 1/8" x 3/4" stainless split pin secured to the rudder head with some thin line. The pin only has a small head so the main doesn't catch and the tiller stays in now, which is much better!

Dave

Back