Tidbits from the Men's Radial World Champion

SFBayLaser

As most know, Mike Leigh, who will sail a Laser for Canada later this summer in Qingdao, recently won the Men's Radial World Championship. And, as most of the top sailors do these days, he has a blog (and maybe TLF can add his rss feed to its news list?).

In a recent post he had a tidbit about sailing a Radial upwind that looked interesting...

I'm stunned. I mean I'm happy for him and respect his accomplishment, by my god. That post shows what can be done with something.... whatever that something was in his case becasue it sure wasn't radial experience! LOL

Does he have a history of supernatural learning ability? What's the x factor here?

Top class sailors seem to be able to jump classes easily and win. Should the rest of us give up? LOL Or do we simply not believe we can do it?

It's inspirational and irritating at the same time. I feel a goal coming on... LOL

Stunned.

4.gif

Blackburn did the same thing IIRC, not sure how much time he had sailing the Radial prior either.

Given the amount of knowledge that is available on setting up the sail, and having some good guys around you during the workup/practice to get you up to speed on the setup and trim, I'm not surprised that he pulled it off.

quote=Chainsaw;46304
Does he have a history of supernatural learning ability? What's the x factor here?

canada_flag.gif

:)

Not to take anything away from Mike's achievement, but it isn't that surprising he was able to do so well. There aren't too many guys campaigning radials seriously so a top level full rig sailor should be able to step into a radial and do very well, especially if the conditions cooperate. Blackburn and Slingsby did the same thing at the Radial Worlds in 2004.

The only difference between Radials and full rigs is in sail set up, and that isn't a big deal. A good sailor can look at a sail and work out what's going on pretty quickly, Four days of two boating with a coach with Radial experience and you would have most of the rig tune sorted out. Much more important is technique and fleet sailing and he has that stuff well and truly sorted.

At least four of the top five at the Worlds usually sail full rigs, which says a lot.

Back