The Laser 2

Mariner

Designed for a doublehanded crew; is this an official class or merely a family outing ?

What are your thoughts on the 2 ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

Designed for a doublehanded crew; is this an official class or merely a family outing ?

What are your thoughts on the 2 ?

Thanks in advance ! :)

I have never sailed one, but it's definitely an 'official' class. Nice boat, it seems; you can probably get one for a (very) decent price. However, it's my impression that the class is not very lively in the USA. In other words, one-design racing opportunities are (somewhat) limited. To get more info on the Laser 2, you should use the 'search' function and see what has been posted previously.

We're working on it... there are 3 maybe 4 events for us this year.

The two is a great boat. I wish I had a newer one(I have a 81). I'd like to find a good one with a spinnaker launcher built in.

Are you looking at buying one? Location?

becaus of vanguard's choice to promote the 420, laser 2 are now close to dead. well up here at least. its a good boat but there is not much of a racing series. its a good boat, a shame on its current status

Thanks for the replies; I am just spongin as much info as possible right now; I have many questions on many boats and feel that you sailors can actually give the best opinions on them.

I have a few ideas in mind; I want fast, I want to race and I want to have fun

I'm looking at Lasers and Hobie 16's at the moment.

I have a few ideas in mind; I want fast, I want to race and I want to have fun

I'm looking at Lasers and Hobie 16's at the moment.

How experienced are you? For two people, a Laser 2 is great for an experienced/intermediate skipper and a crew of any level. I've taken several people completely new to crewing on mine, and they can handle it just fine. It is a very fast boat, not as fast as a Hobie 16. Definitely a fun boat with the crew trapeze and spinnaker.

Thanks for that !

(Damn, all this talking about sailing is making me crazy; too much talk, not enough ...)

I spent the afternoon on a H34. No, not sailing, detailing.

There is also an yahoo group for L2 owners. Lots of good info on there. It's admin is the same guy that keeps the class association site up and going. It's called NALaser2.

there is also a european Laser2 yahoo group: uklaser2

it's a valuable source of information, since Laser2 is much sailed in UK and most favoured in the UK sailing clubs and universities !!!
You could also find interesting offers for bying one ....

I raced them when there were big fleets as a kid. The optimum weight is 280 for skipper and crew. Each weighing in at 140 is perfect. These boats can plane upwind. They scream downwind, and be prepared to use a trapeze. These boats can be sailed in winds up to 40 mph easier than most. I use to just go out with a buddy and pop the shoot and hold on tight. I hate 420's they are the suckiest boat ever.

Back