The help here has been great but I have some more questions!

triguy46

So here goes with a few more from a newbie:

1. I've decided to go with the new style traveler and replace the three loop one on my '82. Can you specify a micro block to use with this set up, or a vendor who, if I call, will know which one is used for this set up?

2. Looking to add a hiking strap, and I understand the need for an inspection port and backing block for the front, but what about the back? Theres just a small lip back there goiing into the storage area, do I just use long bolts?

3. If I showed up to race, what is the one thing I should NOT do to avoid being humiliated by my lack of 'fish knowledge? I haven't raced in 10 years, so I anticipate just stayin' outta da way. With all the new rules, can I assume starboard still has ROW?

4. I'm unclear on joining the national association. Will they assign me to a fleet, or do I make contact with whatever one seems logical (close). Are some fleets "closed" i.e. only for members of a specific sailing club? I'm not doing so well with emails to the contacts listed on the national website.

Re: The help here has been great!

I could use a bit more detail on the hardware use to mount the hiking strap. What is used at the front of the cockpit? And at the back through the lip? Does anyone have or could take a picture of their set-up? "A picture says a thousand words". The diagram that Mike provided is great to understand the concept but need a bit more help. Thanks in advance.

TG,

The traveler block P/N is 43508. Has a removable sheve and will cost about $20. Available from any Vanguard dealer.

Rough diagrams for Hiking Strap installation can be found on the SF Class website under Tip and Tricks. You are correct that long bolts go through both lips on the front of the storage compartment. Layline also has info on Hiking Straps.

Join the class, You will be assigned your sail numbers (assigned to you not the boat), membership card, Windward Leg magazine, and some other stuff. Cost is only about $30. Club membership is up to you. I belong to a club that is a mixed fleet of trailer boats, no SF Fleet close enough.

Rules are also found on the SF Class site with Links to the ISAF.

Thanks to all for the responses. I was out dinking around with the boat last evening and the wife asked "How's the boat?" My respone: "Its just sitting here waiting for me to throw some money at it." While I'm building my parts list for order, I'm working on the trailer, repacking the wheel bearings, adding bearing buddies and some other little things. By next weekend will be doing hiking strap, traveler and new mainsheet block. Woo hoo!

The block on the traveler was in place during the rope time. Right now there's a rules glitch which inadvertently permits a block, but I doubt you'll find it as a Sunfish part. Only Sunfish parts can be used for that. It wasn't Harken. Call Dan Feldman at Wind Line Sails in Libertyville, IL for the skinny.

TG

The traveler block with removable sheeve is P/N 43508 (for wire bridle), P/N 10224 for rope bridle (1998 parts list) and still listed by APS ($21.30). It is not listed on Vanguards, Laylines or Wind Line Sails sites. Most people in my area that have the block don't bother with it and just use a bowline. It is/was an expensive option for the purpose.

The rule book specifically states a block on the rope bridle may be used (3.7.1) but then prohibits the rope bridle (3.7.6).

A little birdie has told me that the AC will be examining this rope/wire issue at its next meeting (Charleston World Championship). My educated guess is that the wording will be corrected to finish eliminating rope reference and the reference to a block on the "traveler" will also go away.

FWIW the Harken part number is HSB271 for the mirco block with removable pin. Layline 1-800-542-5463 also sells the block.

Again, the clip makes a handy attachment for the block. It allows you to unhook/hook up to the block without any knot tieing. So leave the clip on and save your fingers a bit when it's cold out.

Back