The first One Design Sailing App -- LaserRacer

tern

It's appropriate that the world's largest one-design racing class is the first to have it's own iPhone App.

I have just loaded a new iPhone App called LaserRacer on the iTunes store. It is edited by Andrew Scrivan, an outstanding sailor and coach from Cedar Point.

Here's the description:

LaserRacer is an iPhone app that is intended for use as a concise ready-reference for setting up your Laser and preparing for a race. The sailor can edit most content. Users are encouraged to add their own race notes.

LaserRacer will have 7 Tabs:
• Settings
• Rigging
• Controls
• Coaching
• Images
• Resources
• Notes
• About

The App comes with a number of images for setting up the boat, concise articles on Rigging, Controls and Coaching and a Settings matrix for controls in various conditions. One of my favorite features is the ability to add your own notes -- by typing or cut/paste from a website or email.

If you are interested, the iTunes link is here.

The support website is here.

I look forward to your questions and comments.

Thanks,

John

i bought the app and honestly it is not worth the money. maybe for a brand new laser sailor but not for an experienced laser sailor. if the price would be lowered than it could be worth while

Lazzzerrr-

Fair enough.

I lowered the price to 99 cents.

PM me and I'll refund the difference to you or pass on a couple of Promo Codes to give to your friends.

John

ugh! Its a bummer that it requires 4.2 software! Any chance that you could downgrade it to 3.0 OS?? I bought it and found out the hard way that I can't upgradee my ipod touch 1gen to iOS 4... :(

manateerichard -

Shouldn't be a problem. I used the default from Apple -- looks like they want to push upgrades!

For future reference, doesn't the iTunes store give you a warning if it won't run?

John

John-
not exactly, it says the version of software needed (which I should have looked at) in the fine print, and will alert you only after you've already bought it

Richard

This must be a generational thing. If I want to try a new rigging setup, I may look to the internet. But I would do it at home on my computer a few days before heading out to the sailing club, not look it up on my smart phone just as I'm rigging to out on the water. And the smart phone screen is too small for my geezer eyesight.

Android would be good for me too - and you could make it an ad supported app which might work OK for you.

I'd find it useful being a beginner.

manateerichard-

All set. It took a few days for Apple's review, but you should be able to use it on the older devices. I don't have a gen 1 iPod Touch to test. Can you let me know if it works for you?

Thanks,

John

I think this is a fantastic tool! You can download this on an IPad, take the IPAd to your club and have an on site rigging assistant for any newer laser sailors. Sometimes it's easier for people to take/understand advice/help if it's on paper/or a screen and laid in front of them.

Back