The Advanced Laser Boat Handling DVD

Wags

I just watched this DVD for the 5th time, it's made by the Laser Training Centre, Cabarete. I have to say, I get more and more out of it every time I watch it. If anyone is looking for some really good instruction (which is performed by some really good sailors), pick up this DVD. Before you ask, I am not on any commission scheme, just thought I would share that this is a great tool!

This DVD sounds very promising. I read several reviews which indicated the content is quite good. Before I take the plunge, however, I'd like to know if anyone could comment the following:

* How is the quality (i.e. resolution) of the actual video? (I presume it was filmed in digital) I'm tying to get a sense of how it'll look on a good LCD or Plasma television. Crisp? Pixelated? I've viewed the short You Tube segments posted on the internet but the quality was rather weak.
* Is the video presented in full screen or wide screen format?

Many thanks in advance!

i have seen the DVD. the yacht club that I am working at purchased a copy. I am not sure if it is in HD or widescreen, we just viewed it on a laptop computer screen and it looked fine. The production quality is relatively high, considering other Laser Sailing instructional videos on the market. There is a camera mounted on the bow and the stern, so the angles are very good. The topics covered are in great detail and the instruction is very thorough.

In conclusion, it is a great DVD that has the potential to make some laser sailors much better than they are now. It is not for everyone, and it is not the type of DVD you would want to watch in a home theatre. If you are looking to greatly improve your boat handling, then there is no reason you should not get this.

Can anyone compare this with Rooster's The Boat Whisperer? Thanks!!

Two different animals, really. The Advanced Laser Boat Handling DVD shows Laser specific techniques in great detail in slow motion. And in different wind conditions: low, medium and high.

The Boat Whisperer DVDs focus on sailing in strong(er) winds and there is less detail on the more subtle aspects of tacking and jibing, except perhaps for the section on roll tacking. Steve Cockerill's gives good advice of course on Laser sailing in general, but as stated, his focus is on big breeze sailing.

In summary, the two products are complementary with little duplication. I am still learning from both, although my results don't show it :eek:

Back