Testing for hull leaks

O J

I'm sure I am taking on water. I've read posts regarding hull leaks, soap, bubbles, etc. My pre-72 hull has no inspection ports but has a 1 inch drain(?) stainless fixture on the transom on the right-hand side. I've seen this on a '70 sailfish, too, which can lead to an assumption that this was OEM for awhile. Can I just simplify and gently run hose water into this transom fixture into the inclined hull, and see where water runs out? ie, leak location. I think water would appear at the mast hole, the dagger well, bailer, or side seams. Or am I going to create problems in the interior? The intent this winter is to install inspection ports and dry the hull according to posts on the forum, but I want to identify leaks first.

I'm sure I am taking on water. I've read posts regarding hull leaks, soap, bubbles, etc. My pre-72 hull has no inspection ports but has a 1 inch drain(?) stainless fixture on the transom on the right-hand side. I've seen this on a '70 sailfish, too, which can lead to an assumption that this was OEM for awhile. Can I just simplify and gently run hose water into this transom fixture into the inclined hull, and see where water runs out? ie, leak location. I think water would appear at the mast hole, the dagger well, bailer, or side seams. Or am I going to create problems in the interior? The intent this winter is to install inspection ports and dry the hull according to posts on the forum, but I want to identify leaks first.

No, don't do that, please!

Just do the soap bubble test. Directions are in the Knowledge Base on this forum:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/content.php?pg=airtest

:O Ditto.....The 11th Commandment could be....keep water / moisture out of your hull !

The soap and bubble test is done with air introduced into the hull via an inspection port or the original hull drain opening. Yes, please refer to the Knowledge Base on this forum as noted by Wavedancer in the previous reply post...... Waterboarding your Sunfish will not reveal the information your looking for, just give you more water damage, possible delamination, and water retention.......

Back