tendonitis from sheeting

windwagon

Before I call the MD I was wondering if any of you had suffered tendonitis in your elbow (I'm suffering in the right one) and what the generic rx is for dealing with it. Currently taking ibuprofen and have put the boat away for winter.

If the pain is on the outside of the elbow near the little bump, you have tennis elbow. I had it and it was hard to get rid of but here's what worked.

First and most important is to get an EpiMed tennis elbow brace. They are expensive (about $50) but after trying the cheaper ones it was the one that worked. Wear it all the time for a few months.

Before an activity heat up your elbow for fifteen minutes. Afterwards ice it for fifteen minutes.

Do the "Holy Trinity" of elbow stretches.
1. hold you hand (bad one) palm forward and straight arm in front of you. Grab your fingertips with the good hand and pull back firmly but slowly for 30 seconds
2. Put you hand in front of you with palm sideways and facing you and thumb up. Cup the back of your good hand around the knuckles of the bad and pull firmly for 30 seconds.
3. Bad arm straight out, palm sideways and thumb down. With good hand grab with fingers near the pinky joint and thumb near the bad thumb and pivot pinky inwards. 30 seconds.

See you doctor about taking NSAID's (Celebrex is very good)

Good luck and stick with it. It's a slow healer.
Harri

I had this for years, but it's pretty good now. Watch other uses, such as tennis, hammering, screwdrivers, etc. If it's your first year or two, it's pretty easily curable. I had it for 10+ years.

Main cleats, used sparingly.
Bigger sheet when it blows. I have 3 sizes.
Sticky gloves, like Harkin, Ronstan.

What finally worked was deep tissue massage, by a pro masseuse. And I mean close to full body weight right on the d___ spot. Two treatments, and I'm fine for 2 years now. And I sail Ibuprofin free, at 56, which I couldn't do at 44.

I also agree with Snipeguy re. stretches. Like a lower back, it all becomes a maintenence issue, forget the concept of "cured".

Full hike is a pretty extreme exercise, but I suffer most scrunched up front in light air. I have to remember to stand, almost walk between races, to avoid the light air calf lock-ups, especially in an all day affair.

Al Russell 182797

vtgent49 said:
What finally worked was deep tissue massage, by a pro masseuse. And I mean close to full body weight right on the d___ spot.

If you can find a knotted up spot, this pressure thing will work.

Merirly

I suffered from tennis elbow from laser sailing for a year. Here's what I did at the advice of a trainer and it worked.

I work on strengthening my grip and wrists by doing wrist curls. I use a 10 or 15 lbs barbell, stabilize by forearm on a bench or table, grip the bar, and curl upward. They can also be done backhanded. the important thing is to keep the forearm still.

my elbow feels ok, but my right shoulder has been hurting a lot a day after sailing, and now it sort of hurts all week long.

I guess I should start streching before racing or something?!

.... get over it.

Just kidding, sorry I've been on SA all Day. Glucosamine Chondrotin will do the trick. Other's are just pain relievers and tennis elbow can last a long time. Get the kind that you 2 per day and you'll see that it works. It takes a week or so but, better than 6 months.

DaveK

Stretch, excercise, and take vitamin B-6!!!!

After doing that whole bow thing on the mum 30 in Astoria I had carpal tunel real bad and tennis ball excercises and taking these vitamins has seemed to help.

I can hardly wait to get out in January!!

bow on Mumm 30? was that on Mumbo or did another boat come down to play? I didn't make that race, but am bow on that Mumm here in Portland now.

Ah, come on ..... don't you now who I am by the avatar ...... yes it was Mumbo Jumbo, and I will never do bow on that boat again.

haha, ok, in other thread, mystery identity SOLVED.

yeah, it's pretty insane. I finally got it down. There is talk of putting the boat in the shop this winter to work on it........fun!

davidlapier said:
I suffered from tennis elbow from laser sailing for a year. Here's what I did at the advice of a trainer and it worked.

I work on strengthening my grip and wrists by doing wrist curls. I use a 10 or 15 lbs barbell, stabilize by forearm on a bench or table, grip the bar, and curl upward. They can also be done backhanded. the important thing is to keep the forearm still.

At one point I never could sail in winds over 15 mph. My forearm just turned to jelly after about 20 minutes of constant sheeting. I started doing arm excercises just as described above, and haven't had any problems for ten years.

Back