Taking a Boat Home

callerguy

Cush Maker
Hi again.

I have an '91 F-150 with a cap. It does not have a rack. I am pondering taking my minifish home so that I can sail until late fall. I think this will be easier than taking my sailfish or sunfish back. What is the best way to secure it for an 860+ mile trip?

John

I had to truck a long, large, but relatively light piece of perforated galvanized sheet metal, and made a rack out of 2x4s for the inside/open bed of my little Nissan pickup truck. (1800 mile trip).

With your "cap", I'd place foam so that the Fish won't scratch (or better yet, not touch ) the paint of the cap or cab. The foam will still move against the paint finish, so be prepared to use cleaner/wax when you arrive home. I used a sheet of plastic blister-pac, which held up well sandwiched between the heavy scrap foam I used. (Similar to swim noodles, but flat).

I attached the lines to the front (using paint-friendly polypropylene) by opening the doors and securing the lines to the upper hinges so the lines wouldn't be in my line of sight. Everything will loosen, so examine your handiwork every gas-stop. You could thread two lines through the daggerboard trunk (and tape them temporarily) before hefting the Fish to the top of the roof.

Almost every cartopped canoe you see on the road gets blown to the right (passenger side), so I'd bias the tie-downs to prepare for that eventuality. Any lines that touch paint will mark the paint so that polishing it out by hand will be likely.

Remember, that when you find yourself on two-lane highways, the wind blast from 18-wheelers will try to jog whatever you're carrying on the roof.

Back