Tacking in stronger winds

John

Does anyone have any advice for avoiding preventing the boat going into irons during tacking, in stronger winds, apart from having good boat speed before entering the tack?

Primary advice is: Tack fast!
Pull the tiller extension in a determined manner, sharply and smartly.

A tack in light, drifting conditions may take you five full seconds. But a tack in 15+ knots (from close hauled to close hauled) should take you (approximately) only one second.

Shevy

Small singlehanders like the Laser will always turn up into the wind if you give them half a chance. Here are some points to help the boat get through the tack:

1. Start the tack on top a wave.
  2. Straighten the tiller as soon as you are on course
  3. Let out a bit of mainsheet if you need to.
    [/list=1]

Before the tack, place one foot above the toestrap so when you pivot around, it slides under the toestrap allowing you to hike out immediately.

Do not let the boat heel at all. If the boat comes out of the tack heeled, you are moving slowly and as the rig powers up the heel will only get worse. This means practicing to increase the speed of the body movement and getting your weight out over the side as soon as possible.

If youdo get into irons, pull the boom towards you until it fills and pull the tiller towards you to get back onto a close hauled course.

Ah a hint with some real numbers in it! Thanks Shevy for the suggestion about the actual time to complete a tack - 5secs in light winds and 1 sec in strong. I'm a newbie and only been in the laser 8 months and I'm generally learning the finer points with training solo. I've read all the books and web sites I can find and spend as much time as possible on the water. I was confused though by the descriptions of tacking in different winds - variously described by "doing everything smoothly and slowly', "lean to leeward to head up", "don't use the rudder too much as it slows you down", "don't force a quick turn - as while you're pointing in to the wind you're making progress up wind, but not too slow either because you'll obviously be slowing down". Many subjective terms! Its hard to know whats optimum when you're out there on your own.
Anyway I'll try next training session with your suggestions. Anyone else got an opinion on time to complete tack in different winds ?

Getting out and sailing for an hour will be more instructive than 100 books. You cannot beat practice for improving boat handling.

I know exactly what you mean Benn, it is rather tricky to begin to sail the boat when there is so much ineffective jargon online and in books – you just have to get into the thing and practice!

Back