Sunfish Worlds program does not seem fair

Sunfish Newbie

I have been enjoying getting back on my Sunfish. I looked at the racing calendar, and thought going to the worlds would be fun since they are close by this year (I am in Charleston.) However, I then saw you have to qualify ahead of time. Why is this? It seems it will limit the turnout to only those who can win a regatta to qualify. That does not seem right and does not fit with the spirit of the Sunfish class. Why don't they just open it to the first 75 people to sign up so it is a fairer chance of getting to sail in such a big event. It does not seem right to limit it to just the top sailors. Out of curiosity, I looked at the Laser website, and they have the same restrictions. What gives? Kevin

Kevin, the Sunfish Worlds is a tournament similar to the US Open in golf or the World Series in baseball. You can't just enter the tournament unless you've qualified by winning other races. If the first 75 people to enter the race were allowed to compete, the best sailors in the world would not be interested in competing at all. All the hard work they put into training would be worthless.

Reactions: tag
In fact, I do not personally know of any sailboat class with enough members that doesn't have a similar qualification system. It is meant to encourage the fullest participation of the best in class. Frequently, however, they schedule less exclusive regattas at nearby (not the same) locations before and after the worlds' event to take advantage of the "traffic".

If you contact the Class Office, you can ask to be put on the WAIT LIST. With only 72 spots and a limited number of those spots available to US sailors, success is by no means guaranteed, but who knows.

In the meantime, I would strongly encourage you to participate in other regattas in your area. Regional Championships are particularly competitive.

The idea is to have the best Sunfish Sailors in the World compete against each other. If you want a big, open championship you should go to the NAs in Chicago or to your regional championships in the SE. It would be silly if the "Worlds" was nothing but the people who lived closest to the venue

OK, I see what you all mean, it just means there is a good chance I will never get to sail in the worlds, which seems sort of unfair. Even if I spent a lot of time trying to get in, there is no assurance I ever would/could.

Why is that unfair? I don't get to sail in the Olympics either...
Or the Sunfish Worlds, unless I do really well in a qualifying regatta.

Dude get your scuba gear on and show up for the NA's and demonstrate how you can deal with the horrible smells. We would love to see you there.

Sunfish Newbie:

Here is your chance for a personalized, guaranteed World's invite next year. It's the 2012 Southeastern Regional Championship which is going to be held in your home harbor in a few weeks -- June 16 &17, at James Island Yacht Club in Charleston. *YOU* are invited to this event! (If you haven't paid your 2012 USSCA dues yet, bring some cash).

This is your chance. Show us what you've got! Just show up, sign up and sail. Very simple!

And best of all, all you have to do is simply win this event and you will be personally invited to represent the Southeast Region, as its champion, at next year's Worlds. If you get beat by a former World Champion who happens to live in the area and only finish second, no problem! You will STILL have a Worlds' spot reserved for you.

This is eminently fair for you, and as you will discover at the Regional, easy enough for you to accomplish (especially if you are as Worlds-worthy as you imply).

Again, you can do this. Unless you make the small effort to compete in your own regional championship, in your own harbor next month, you have no cause for complaint.

Let's all mark our calendars for the update. Let us know how you place!

Reactions: tag
Worlds are to determine a World Champion, not a best average-Joe. Another system that works and is fun is used in the Lightning Class for NA's. Everyone is invited, and qualifying races are held on site. The Blue (Championship) fleet is limited to a specific number, but the boats that don't make the Blue fleet race in their own fleet for their own trophy. Everyone is happy.

I heard that the Sunfish Class finally took action on my suggestion and has opened the Worlds up to any and all comers. I wish they had taken this suggestion back in May before we planned our family vacations. We are now trying to move things around. We have two boats now as my wife has taken some lessons this summer so both of us may enter, and if we can pull the kids out of school and I can borrow a boat they will race together on one boat. It will be great for them to experience this event together. I hope lots of people take advantage of this change in philosophy by the class - it could take some of the focus off the need to win to have fun. The racers can still compete, but the rest of us will have a good time too. Kevin

if we can pull the kids out of school and I can borrow a boat they will race together on one boat.

Sunfish Newbie,

Unfortunately, the Sunfish Worlds is a class sanctioned event, which means it can only be sailed single-handedly. Maybe your kids could use your boats in the youth worlds for the week prior to the open worlds.

Just to elaborate a bit on the process of entering the Worlds as an 'outsider'. You need to contact the Class Office and ask to be put on the Waiting List as a 'Wild Card'. I believe you will be requested to send the Class Office the deposit (which will be returned if you don't make the cut). Typically, you need to do this early to have a chance, although this year may be different (!) because of the fact that boats won't be provided. Right now (Aug 15) only 58 people are registered and the limit is 72.

http://www.sunfishclass.org/archives/2012/2012-World-Championship.pdf

As an aside, even as a Wild Card, you do need to be a decent Sunfish sailor with a fair amount of racing experience. You don't want to mess up others, and interfere with 'fair racing'.
Again, I suggest that you, your spouse and kids try some other regattas first before diving in with the hotshots at the Worlds. Others have suggested this approach as well. I guarantee that it will be more fun...

PS: Here is a link to confirm that the upcoming Worlds is now an 'open' event:
http://sailingforums.com/threads/sunfish-worlds-is-now-an-open-event.27028/

Well, for better or worse, vacations can't be moved around, and I won't be at the Worlds, and neither will my family. Good luck to all who go.

BTW, last time I trolled, I caught a bass, not some Sunfish enthusiasts. Kevin

BTW, last time I trolled, I caught a bass, not some Sunfish enthusiasts. Kevin

Well, maybe not Sunfish enthusiasts, but you caught a Sunfish Worlds!

(I liked the idea of qualifying for Worlds, it was motivation to be a better sailor. + I should have read the last post before responding earlier.)

Back