Sunfish Window Installation Notes

shorefun

Just got done with a second install of a window in a Sunfish sail. This is based on the materials from Sailrite as recommened in the video they have on installing a window in a Sunfish sail.

I got their window material longer then 72" in the standard width. This gives you enough material for like 5 or more windows.

The problem I ran into was no real information about the window size and location. I did a lot of searches and could not find a good reference, well any reference.
A couple of years ago one of the kids at the club tore up his sail and threw it away. I took it for practice material. It had a window in it. So I took measurements for the location and made up a drawing as posted.

I have been cutting my windows 8" tall and 72" long. This I am sure is not class legal. There is a limit in sq inch size and this would be larger.

I also have a 72" long aluminum ruler/ straight edge I bought from a big box store. I bought it for the long straight for another project. It happens we have a kitchen island that has granite on top. So I cut out the window using the long straight edge and one of those roller cutters.

Then you put the basting all around, that is the special double sided tape for sewing.

Then set up you machine to do 8mm between points (my wifes Janome MC6500 it was a 4 or 4mm in the length) and 5mm in width (a 5 on the machine). The machine does not have to be super heavy machine. The sail and window not very heavy. The 6500 is known to be a bit of a brute and just zipped through the window and sail material. I believe you can do 2 rows of straight stitch, but look it up first.

It cost me $40 for all the materials. There is enough materials to do a bunch of sails. Locally they charge $100 to do the job and weeks of backlog.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• window placement.jpg
    window placement.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 43
How did you mark and cut the opening? Hot knife? Something else? Did you cut the opening before sewing in the window?

I once watched a guy at the Neal Pryde sail loft install a window in a new Sunfish sail I had purchased. He positioned the clear plasic window over the sailcloth, sewed it on with a few rows of zig-zag stiching and then simply cut away the sailcloth on the inside of the plastic window with a sharp knife (not a hot knife to form the window. From start to finish, it took him about 15 minutes. Impressive.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I repaired many yards of a torn racing sail using an el cheapo Kenmore sewing machine. Where I had to sew through sail-repair tape, I sewed directly through both, using the same zig-zag stitch size as the rest of the sail.

When the thread started breaking, I used WD-40 on the Kenmore's "thread-tensioner" part and on the sail/repair tape. The window wasn't involved, but the WD-40 might help an amateur using a marginal machine.

More here:

Here is what I used as a reference on doing the install.

I ordered a 72" long piece of the window material.
The 1/4" basting tape and the better UV thread. You might also need a proper sized needle.

Mark out in pencil the front lower corner and the rear lower corner.

Cut the window out. I used my long straight edge (I strongly recommend getting one) and one of those circular cutters, like a pizza cutter for fabric.

Baste the window.

Lay out the sail on a flat surface.

Cut a slit in the area you will be removing.

Place the window on the sail.

Expose the adhesive on the basting tape as you work down the window.

Sew the window on.

Cut it out.

Done.

Last edited:

Back