sunfish vs laser

If you could buy a 2000 sunfish vs an 87 laser for about the same money which would you do and why? The sunfish is in alittle better shape obviously because of age but the laser has plenty of life left ie.. can still be raced.

I would look and see what people are sailing around you. If its a Sunfish then a sunfish. If its a Laser then a laser.

Just go down to the thread entitled "need some advice" which started on November 18. It will answer a lot of your questions. BB

Jana said:
If you could buy a 2000 sunfish vs an 87 laser for about the same money which would you do and why? The sunfish is in alittle better shape obviously because of age but the laser has plenty of life left ie.. can still be raced.

Good advice so far. But you should also inspect both boats (very) carefully. Price is one thing, but a leaky boat is only fun for the 'fixer-uppers' among us. Stiffness of the hull is also a factor for the racers.
Regarding buying a used Laser, study http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3700

And, depending on your skill level, you may be swimming more often in a Laser :eek: , at least initially. Your weight and degree of fitness are also relevant if you want to race a Laser and do (reasonably) well :)

If you want high performance sailing, go with the Laser. If you want recreational sailing and plan to have none sailing passengers, go with the Sunfish. Also, consider the annoying sound the flapping sail on the Laser makes for any nearby beach goers.

I am totally new to this sailing world …
I'm thinking of buying one for my son that is 5'9" about 135 lbs.
I would rather get a boat in sailing {condition} and looking good not tlc stuff.
{If} I plan to stay in the sport I should buy something that will last at least a few years …
Could a newbie learn to sail on a race rigged boat?

Jana,

If I am understanding you correctly you and your son are new to sailing. You are looking for a boat to get started with. You aren’t certain if interest in sailing will catch on and blossom. Because you are apprehensive you want a boat that will grow with budding interest or have good resale value. Your research has brought you to conclude popular currently made boats have better potential on both fronts.

I feel you already decided on a boat for starting out. Now you are grappling with the vision of under buying if interest blooms. You are looking for reassurance your choice will be the most universal boat for capturing your son’s interest and covering your assets if it doesn’t.

Here is my slant based on the criteria you have shared. Take into account the advice of falling in with the popular boats for your area. Peer support goes along way for rising interest. I encourage leaning to the Sunfish if other considerations are about equal. The Sunfish is easier to learn on and success in learning is a prime motivator. Sailing fundamentals learned on a Sunfish apply to sailing any boat. Sunfish racing is just as competitive as any class. For my money learning tactics and strategies comes quicker with the simpler sailing arrangement. Resale value is strong.

Fresh Winds

Mol

These folks are all giving good advice. At 5'9", 135# (and presumably gaining) your son will be able sail any boat he wants in a few years. . .Right now he'd do very well in light air in either boat.
BUT
1. Support/interaction is key. Go with the largest, most supportive, friendliest fleet around.
2. Buy a boat that other folks are sailing (preferably in a competitive fleet). You'll always be able to flip it to another.
3. Join in, both of you. You will never regret it.
Years ago, my son got us into Snipes (picky, picky, slow-planing boats, IMHO at the time). It was a WONDERFUL class for our area. Great people.
We went through three hulls over 7 years or so . . . Learned one heck of a lot about dinghy sailing, and cemented a relationship that has lasted for years. I'm now into Sunfish because that's what's where I am. I have no doubt that it's the best boat for this place and time.

An older Laser may not have the rigging updates from a few years ago. The vang, cunningham, and outhaul have been upgraded and are much easier to adjust now. I did upgrade my 1999 Laser and it is worth every penny.

I started with a Laser and ended up getting a Sunfish because there is more Adult sailing in my area with a Sunfish fleet. The Sunfish is rigged a lot faster than a Laser. The Sunfish is less tippy than a Laser. The Laser is a blast though and I continue to sail both boats. You need to be in better shape to sail a Laser than a Sunfish.

I would go with what other people sail in your area so that you can learn the tricks of the boat from them. I do sail with a small group of people with Lasers and have learned a lot from them. The same is true with the Sunfish. Good Luck.

Cindy Taylor

Back