Sunfish trailer used for utility?

Ok so the sunfish is going to it's permanent home at the shore house this weekend.

I am also thinking of doing some repairs to the sun room at the house.

Normally I would take the truck and tow the boat down, but I've got a hitch on our 98 Jetta TDI which I pull the boat with as well.

Thinking about using the boat trailer for a run to the home depot at the shore (4 miles from the house). Anybody use a boat trailer as-is to grab plywood, etc?

I think I can safely tie it down, and avoid taking the 20mpg truck vs the 50mpg TDI

Hmm, I think strapping stuff down well should help. If you're already buying plywood, maybe buy a piece that is big enough to cover the "floor" of the trailer, so all your other pieces have support? I don't know how your boat is configured, so that may or may not be possible. Otherwise, strap wisely. I know another user here has used his boat trailer to haul lumber, so it's doable. You might just have to suffer confused looks from the Home Depot folk. :p

We have a utility trailer with removable boat cradles, so we'll have no issues with reverting to utility mode (I think we will have to name the trailer after a Transformer).

I do this all the time to transport plywood and lumber. It works well and since Lowe's is only 5 miles away the odds of something falling off are greatly diminished. I make sure to use a sheet of plywood as a base and ratchet tie downs to keep everything in place.

I don't see why this wouldn't work. Don't worry about confused looks from the Home Depot folks, I work there, it's normal. We see some rather unusual things, so nothing really suprises us.

Back