sunfish trailer options

preston

i need a trailer for my fish any suggestions where to go get a reasonable deal and is the trailex alum trailer worth the bucks (650 range ) thanks

Well over the years we found any of the trailer that depended on the Sunfish Chine for support causes cracks on the bottom.
I bought the Trailex after a year of searching trailers.
The other solution is to to some modifications to the cheaper trailer and invert the fish for towing. Here's one variation on the inverted theme: http://www.cattanach.org/sunfishtrailer.html

I bought the Trailex a couple of years ago because I was experiencing back problems and I wanted the lightest trailer I could find. I think is is a little overpriced, especially since you have to assemble it yourself, but I would buy it again if I was doing it over. It has been worth it to me. A plus is that the bolsters can be easily adjusted to allow carrying your Sunfish upside down, which is how I trail my boat. The boat even rides better carried upside down ---it doesn't rock as much.

ok well i guess you have to pay for quality . anyway the way i see it with the trailex you get a boat trailer plus a launching dolly in one deal. anysuggestions on where to get the best deal on one?

I looked high and low and the price was always within $10-$15. Shipping was the major difference.

An FYI for the Trailex trailers. The tires are rated for 90 PSI, but Trailex used the tires as the suspension for the trailer and recommends carrying 15 psi. This is not a mistake. Run the tires up to their rating and you WILL damage the boat.
Also remember to retorque the wheel several times when first towing. Trailer lugs have a bad habit of loosening for the first few hundred miles.

I live in Ohio, so it was easiest for me to order direct from Trailex (Trailex.com) which is located in Canfield, OH. Check different places to see what the shipping will be to your home.

Using the tires as part of the suspension is an interesting design feature. My trailer bounces around a lot as it is with the tires at 15 psi. I'd hate to think what it would do if the tires were overinflated to 90 psi.

Back