Sunfish sheet blocks on the boom.

Rdavidschm

I have a Sunfish with 2 replacement sheet blocks on the boom. the old blocks were never removed. Is it okay to race in Sunfish races with non standard blocks? Also how do I remove the old ones? Cut them off somehow (how?) or drill out the rivets holding them in place and re-revit?

Attachments

• IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 61
You need to use the old ones to be class legal. Club sailors usually are fine with anything, but at regionals, NAs or Nationals you will need the legal blocks.

Looks like the Ronstan block (the red/black one) is simply attached with a shackle. Just open it (you may need a screwdriver), and rethread the sheet through the legal RaceLite.

_

I would stick with the original pulleys. I always drill out the rivets and through bolt with lockouts through the boom. I started that after having a rivet pull out in a regatta.

I would stick with the original pulleys. I always drill out the rivets and through bolt with lockouts through the boom. I started that after having a rivet pull out in a regatta.
I’m interested in using your technique for installing the blocks, just curious, what is a lockout?
Thanks

Back