sunfish sails comparison

The Intensity sail comes with a window and (digital) numbers.
Looks like the better choice to me, unless you like color.....

Does anyone have feedback on an Intensity Practice race sail vs. the Neil Pryde sails?
Doesn't Neil Pryde only offer the recreational sail while the Intensity Practice Race sail is suppose to be cut and sewn like the North race sail?

Wouldn't that be a root beer to red bull comparison? ;)

One minor point on the Neil Pryde sails. The grommets on the Neil Pryde sails are not brass, but are instead stainless steel. These grommets are also much larger than the grommets found on the old OEM Sunfish sails, and are fewer in number.

Additionally, it is very hard to get a true read on the color combinations of any Neil Pryde or Sunfish OEM sail. If matching up the colors on the deck trim is important to you, like it is for a lot of people, Googling the name of the sail color combination ("Carnival", "Sunrise", "Patriot", etc.) should kick up some actual real photos of the color combinations. Running these sail colors under "Sunfish sail" up on Ebay also kicks up a lot of true pictures as well.

The illustrations on both the Neil Pryde and LP website don't do justice for the actual product delivered. The Neil Pryde sails in particular tend to be very pastel-like.

Thanks for the info. Do you think there is any difference in the workmanship or quality?

As Wayne pointed out, comparing the Intensity and Neil Pryde (NP) sails is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Or maybe I should say mandarins and oranges since we are talking sails.

Regarding quality/workmanship, there have been several favorable reports on the NP sails on this forum (please use the Search function to find them). The Intensity Sunfish sail is pretty new and I don't recall seeing a report on those. But Intensity has been selling Laser sails for quite some time and the reactions have been positive. Just check The Laser Forum to follow up (once again, the Search function would make this a lot easier).

Just as an aside, both the Intensity and the NP sail are not class-legal, but at club races you are not likely to face problems as long as you discuss this issue with the organizers.

Back