Sunfish sailing in Myrtle Beach, SC

nittany sailor

Hi everyone-
I have just cleaned up my 74 Sunfish and started sailing it again(after way too many years). I forgot just how much I love it.
icon10.gif
I have just joined the Forum and all of the information is extremely helpful!! I live in Central PA and learned to sail on the lakes here. Have sailed the Sunfish on Wellfleet Bay in Cape Cod (years ago). We spend time during the year in Myrtle Beach and I have been looking at the water around there for possible sailing. I am leery of sailing it directly on the ocean (until I get better). Does anyone know about any more "friendly" sailing waters close to Myrtle Beach??

Wayne- I am teaching my college son to sail and want to thank you for the Points of Sail diagram that you posted on a recent thread. I was looking for it. When I learned to sail in college (phys ed course), this was in our text for the class. I thought it was incredibly helpful!! I sent it to my son, so he could visualize the boat in relation to the wind and the related sail positions.

I am really enjoying this site-

I got a place at long beach, oak island n.c. and there are lots of places to sail here. My other h
ome is near wrightsville beach n.c. but, there is hardly a place to launch near the beach 1 club (private) and a public boat ramp on the water way ( dangerous from power boats.)
I took my sunfish to my house on davis canal oak island and never brought it back . I believe you can launch at oak island. n.c. nice back water and ICW.
Lake WAcamaw inland has boat ramps and nice sailing west of Wilmington , look on .nc map or google.

Back