Sunfish Sail Rings

Zoey

Hi,
I have a 2002 Sunfish and am going to replace the original sail. The sail was attached by the local Sunfish dealer, who is now closed his store. Here's my question: The last sail rings on the upper and lower spars were intentionally replaced with sail lines (this is where you would also attach the 2 outhaul lines). When I attach my new sail I was going to use sail rings for the last sail grommets. Is there a reason for using lines vs. sail rings for the last 2 sail attachments?
Thanks,
Zoey

I did it, and the one near where the upper spar meets the mast. The one near the mast to prevent the sail from binding and the outhaul two to help free up the leech to beter match my sailing conditions.
Between the sail ties, adjustable outhaul & cunningham, and adjustable gooseneck position you can "adjust" the sail/boat for many conditions/sailer weights.

Hi,
I have a 2002 Sunfish and am going to replace the original sail. The sail was attached by the local Sunfish dealer, who is now closed his store. Here's my question: The last sail rings on the upper and lower spars were intentionally replaced with sail lines (this is where you would also attach the 2 outhaul lines). When I attach my new sail I was going to use sail rings for the last sail grommets. Is there a reason for using lines vs. sail rings for the last 2 sail attachments?
Thanks,
Zoey

As mike4947 explained, the ties are a 'racers thing' to make the outhaul (on the boom) run (more) smoothly and shape the (white racing) sail optimally. If you don't race, there's nothing wrong with using conventional sail clips everywhere.

Back