Sunfish Restoration

scotts180

Hi

I'm new to the group and have a question concerning my restoration project. I have a 1980 Sunfish that is in need of restoring. In reading other posts, I'm concerned about removing "deck hardware" for re-gel coating.
If I remove the bow handle, and the rest of the deck hardware, will I be able to reattach the same. I've read that the wood blocks fall down inside the hull if you remove/unscrew hardware. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Scott

Don't take out all the screws at once. Take out one, loosen the other, rotate the hardware, put a screw back in. Tape around that screw and sand/paint/etc...

Hi I'm new to the group and have a question concerning my restoration project. I have a 1980 Sunfish that is in need of restoring. In reading other posts, I'm concerned about removing "deck hardware" for re-gel coating.
If I remove the bow handle, and the rest of the deck hardware, will I be able to reattach the same. I've read that the wood blocks fall down inside the hull if you remove/unscrew hardware. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott
You'll be doing the re-gel coating yourself? Or "doing prep" prior to having it done professionally?

For more working room, remove all but one screw, swivel handle out of the way, replace screw(s) through the deck—into the wood block—remove bow handle.

If you've sanded-away the screw heads, or covered the screw heads so they can't be turned, use a "left-hand drill bit" (Harbor Freight) to drill them out. As you drill, the screws will help in backing themselves out.

image_25272.jpg

Or... instead of taping the screws, dip the screws head first in wax, coating appx 1/4 inch (thickness of the hardware) onto the shoulder/threads before putting it back in. Just put it in until the wax contacts the hull. That will leave the screw clean when you get done painting and have a tiny ring unpainted at the screw hole.

Weigh the boat before painting. If its heavy you'll want to cut in the inspection ports so you can dry it out. Then you will have the ports for reinstalling the backing blocks.

Back