Sunfish Rental/Sailing in Charleston, SC?

kmbarnes1

Does anyone know of a place in Charleston, SC that rents Sunfish? I've never sailed one and I've been looking to buy one. However before I put money into buying one, I want to make sure that I'd enjoy it so I'd like to try one out.

Also, what are your thoughts about a 6'3" 225lb sailor? I've had a few people tell me I'm too big for a Sunfish. I would want to do a lot of rec sailing and eventually some racing in Charleston Harbor during the summer...

Does anyone know of a place in Charleston, SC that rents Sunfish? I've never sailed one and I've been looking to buy one. However before I put money into buying one, I want to make sure that I'd enjoy it so I'd like to try one out.

Also, what are your thoughts about a 6'3" 225lb sailor? I've had a few people tell me I'm too big for a Sunfish. I would want to do a lot of rec sailing and eventually some racing in Charleston Harbor during the summer...

km - Ignore those who say you are too big. I'm 6-3" 205. I've been sailing a couple seasons now (started at age 56) and am having a blast. In fact, I got one for Michigan vacations and then bought one for Lake Michigan North of Chicago. You might not be competitive in a race due to size, but who knows? I don't race so I can't comment. Being big may mean you don't have to hike out as far and can just lean one way. These boats have so much going for them if you are just starting; easy to rig, easy to right, few controls so they're easy to sail. Go for it.

Reactions: tag
You might have some luck at Patriots point marina, I think it s called Charleston Harbor marina. I dont know for sure but I know that CofC has a sailing group over there and I see small sailboats coming out of there all the time. If that all fails let me know and I will try and set something up for you with a buddy of mine. My boat is currently under repairs and not water ready or you could totally just take mine out some time.

@splash07s - I've been out to the CofC sailing center. They've got lasers but that's the closest thing they have to a sunfish. I'd definitely appreciate meeting up with you or someone else to try a Sunfish out.

@Wavedancer- I talked to someone at JIYC. They said they only rent out to members unless its a sunfish sailing night. Apparently those ended for the year in August so I just missed it... next year I definitely hope to get involved with those races.

I thought I saw somewhere that a regional race was taking place in Columbia the first weekend in November, Lake Murray maybe?
You may want to do some searching to see if true, maybe there will be a vendor offering boats to try.
Just a thought.

Back