Sunfish Racing Upwind in Light Air

luffingalong

I was hoping to hear suggestions from the forum on successful ways to race a sunfish upwind in light air. There is a lot of emphasis in the Sunfish Bible and other sources on the value of keeping the boat as flat as possible to get as much use from the daggerboard as possible. Despite that advice, I've seen many people heeling the boat to windward on upwind legs. I am a 200 lb skipper in a heavy boat, so I'm looking for any suggestions to keep up with the lighter racers. What works well for the racers out on the Forum? Thanks for your thoughts.

Are you sure you want to discuss the idea of keeping the boat heeled to windward upwind?

In (very) light winds I heel the boat to leeward going upwind, but I am by no means a champion :eek:

Wavedancer I agree heeling to leeward to reduces the wetted hull surface and puts leeward chine in the water which prevents leeway and you can raise the center board higher as the hard chine is biting into the water. I am about the same weight luffingalong and sail in a tidal river and this technique works for me in light wind beating to windward against the current.

Minas man

Minas, while I respect the success you are having, I have to disagree on having your board up even a millimeter when going upwind. It needs to be down all the way, all the time upwind.

Regarding heeling to leeward - when it is very light wind, you need to do that to give the sail shape (via gravity.) Once the wind is strong enough to hold the sail's shape, you can flatten the boat out. Note that in terms of weight positioning, you have to be all the way forward in the cockpit. This is particularly important for heavier sailors in Sunfish. If you are moved back at all, the stern just digs in.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'll try the heeling to leeward idea and keeping the weight forward next chance I get.

By the way, I'm an engineer by training and so being a complete geek, believe that there is much to be revealed by careful analysis and test. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone, somewhere did a hydrodynamic analysis and test of the hull and also did the same for the aerodynamic's of the sail? Sure, its done in the big leagues by the pro teams, but with the Sunfish being so popular over so many years, maybe it was done just for fun. It would be really interesting information.

Try using a GPS to monitor your speed and then start adjusting all the variables mentioned in the post and you will soon learn. I do not know if you are allowed to use a GPS while racing but you can train with one and learn what makes you and your boat go the fastest.
I use a simple Garmin hand held E-trex legend and then after the sail you can upload the data to your computer and there is a lot of data other than speed will be of interest.

Minas man

Reactions: tag
Minas, while I respect the success you are having, I have to disagree on having your board up even a millimeter when going upwind. It needs to be down all the way, all the time upwind.

Regarding heeling to leeward - when it is very light wind, you need to do that to give the sail shape (via gravity.) Once the wind is strong enough to hold the sail's shape, you can flatten the boat out. Note that in terms of weight positioning, you have to be all the way forward in the cockpit. This is particularly important for heavier sailors in Sunfish. If you are moved back at all, the stern just digs in.

Beldar's quote is everything I've heard about sailing in light and variable winds. ;)

Back