Sunfish Racing Sail

RustyRudder

How much difference does a racing sail make as compared to the standard sail? Can you actually feel a significant difference in speed and performance or is it only noticeable when racing?

RR,

Compared to my old ('69) recreational sail, I feel the most difference in light air. In heavy air where you are really hiking out, I do not notice any difference (too busy enjoying the ride).

I say your right supercub I sailed for many years before I got a racing sail. The big advantage was a window to see on coming power boats.

CP, RR,

I forgot about the window (like duh, it's staring me in the face :eek: ), deffinately the biggest difference between the two sails. A huge improvement in safety, especially when the sail is low, not only for power boats, but for other sailboats, bouys and other stuff. Nearly worth the price difference for the window alone.

Actually there is about an 8 Square foot difference between a recreational sail and a race sail. While they list them both at 75 sqaure foot there is a difference. Just lay a race sail over a rec sail and it becomes immediately apparent that it's larger.
Not to mention rec sails do not have the "quality control" of draft depth position.
As an example of the difference; the older Fogh sail, (the best sail other than the race sail) had a Portsmouth rating of 105, The original Ratsey rec sail was 113, The race sail dropped this to 103, and the new dagger board dropped it to 99.

Getting back to the original question, if you are sailing by yourself (not racing), you won't really notice a difference in performance IMHO. The ability to see better because of the window, and thus prevent accidents, is quite important.

What is the good "recreational position"? I always sail with the halyard between 9th and 10th ring, gooseneck at around 18".

For the original question, IMHO there is a huge diference in feel between the rec sail and the race sail, especially in light to medium air. The power and accelleration are much better using a race sail.

Also, there is more uniformity and reproduceability in the race sail. I had 2 rec sails from the same year from 2 factory manufacturers (class sticker on both) and they were significantly different in both cloth and cut. One was flatter with a heavier feel cloth and one was fuller with a lighter feel cloth. there was more resin in the cloth of one sail as well. For rec sailing though, do you care that much? You could get a knock off race sail if you do care at half the cost of a class approved race sail and you will have a window. Or look on ebay for a class aproved race sail if you want the option to go race.

As far as a rec sail setting, I would set the boom height that is comfortable to you for tacking under and then place the gooseneck at about 15-18" and adjust it from there for the balance. Forward increases weatherhelm and power, back is opposite.

Back