Sunfish Improvements

There have been a number of complaints in the “things you would like to see improved” thread. I made some too. We shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that no boat (Class) is perfect and most of the problem areas with the sunfish are fairly minor. I have a 2006 and I think it’s a great boat and I’m not a bit sorry I bought it. Also, I think the Class is outstanding. The racing is excellent and the people are friendly and helpful. Just trying to put things in perspective.

My recommendation to Vanguard would be to go back to the deck with the aluminum edge around the periphery. The rounded edge on the new Sunfish does not enable you to get a finger hold for righting the boat after tipping - particularly since your hands are wet. Am I wrong here?

Yup your wrong. I guess you haven't sailed enough in heavy air to have a permanent crease from the damn aluminum. As for righting just reach a couple of inches farther to the lip that's an inch below the deck.

My recommendation to Vanguard would be to go back to the deck with the aluminum edge around the periphery. The rounded edge on the new Sunfish does not enable you to get a finger hold for righting the boat after tipping - particularly since your hands are wet. Am I wrong here?

I have sailed both and the 'new' version is so much nicer and less prone to cause injuries.

Back