Sunfish hull dimensions?

element6

Hi all,
I'm working on an idea for a beach dolly for my sunfish and need a little help. My boat is stored at club where I don't have easy, daily access so I can't just go get this information when it's convenient for me. I've also searched around some and haven't been able to find this anywhere.

What I'm looking for is the profile of the hull bottom in the area of the fore-aft balance point. In other words, if I put a 2x4 across the keel at the center of mass, what size block of wood wood fit between the 2x4 and the edge of the hull at the chine and how far out from the keel would that be.

If it works out, I'll post pictures.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave,

You don't need to measure the beam if you making "Centerboard Dolly".
You insert white pieice into your Sunfish's centerboard slot. Using the bow handle while moving the boat with dolly attached beneath.

See the following picture

Attachments

• sun-unit-290x300.jpg
    sun-unit-290x300.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 44
It appears to me that would be an acceptable design for moving the boat around and possibly for launching off a steep ramp, but I suspect it might not work well for launching off our beach.
Thanks for the link,

Dave

It appears to me that would be an acceptable design for moving the boat around and possibly for launching off a steep ramp, but I suspect it might not work well for launching off our beach.
Thanks for the link,

Dave

Why you migh not be able to launch off beach with such dolly?

I use it all the time on beach (use trailer on ramp). Is that anything difference of your beach? What is your concern? size/height of wheels? too muddy? ...

It looks like you need to lift the boat quite a bit to get the center rib out of the daggerboard trunk. Also, with the wheels under the hull, deeper water is needed to float the boat.
We launch from a sandy beach, and the water is shallow for quite a ways out. Most of the other sailors use a dolly like the Seitech and can easily slide their boats off without needing to lift them very far. At the moment I'm using a small road trailer and even that is difficult because the water is so shallow.
I expect I can get the profile drawing that I need this weekend. Then I can see if my idea has any merit.

Why you migh not be able to launch off beach with such dolly?

I use it all the time on beach (use trailer on ramp). Is that anything difference of your beach? What is your concern? size/height of wheels? too muddy? ...

Back