Sunfish Dolly

mdelaney

I have seen where some sailors have built a dolly out of PVC. Can anyone provide some feedback on if these hold up and any pictures of how it came out? Also, any other ideas for a dolly without spending $355 on a new Seitech dolly?

Thanks

mdelaney,

When I cartoped my SF, I made and used a PVC Dolly for a season and a half. Since I now have a trailer and am able to to back right up to the beach or use the ramp, the PVC dolly sits under the house. I used 1-1/2" PVC, tires/wheels from the front of of a lawn tractor and a steel rod for the axle, it held up ok, but did not like to be pushed on the sand (solid ground was ok), pulling on sand was ok. The PVC fittings did crack twice on me and had to be replcaed. A couple of people in the club have the Seitech dolly (Sunfish and Laser versions) and they do work much better (more solid feel to them when moving the boat). Wind Line Sails (http://www.windline.net/index.html) has the Voodoo dolly (about the same $$) as an alterative to the Seitech. I have no experience with the Voodoo, call Dan at Wind Line for more info.

I use a Seitech with my new to me Sunfish. I used one for Laser sailing for a long time after not having one. It makes life a lot easier going to Regattas at the crowded launch ramp. It's also nice just to leave the boat on it overnight.

I've seen several examples of PVC dollies. They all seem to have the problem of the fittings breaking or the tubes flex too much if they get used much.

I've got the plans for a dolly using wheel-barrow wheels, that I tore out of a very old Popular Mechanics magazine. It is just a set of wheels and a sling/cradle that straps to the boat...... with no "tongue" at all. you just lift the bow of the boat and wheel it around. I've never built one, but it looks pretty simple to me. I'll see if I can scan it and post it in the "picture" section. (it might be a few days, though)

I've seen a narrow 2 wheel dolly with a metal loop that goes thru the centerboard slot, turn the boat over, lift the bow, and insert the dolly.
My idea is to build a dolly like sietch's, but from 3" pvc. It might work,if I can find the right fittings. I need to find right and left hand 3x3x1.5 t y's with a 1.5 riser .The wheels are still a big expense ,$67 from seitch . If I get any further over the winter I' ll post some pictures. MartyD

My son is in a Jr Sailing program, 60 children, all kinds of dollies, wide sandy beach, brackish water, the seitech wheels are among the few that seem to hold up. ROLEEZ wheels might work too. MartyD

There's a product called "Wheel Aweigh" consisting of two wheels, rubber covered plastic "bunks," and straps. I use it on the beach and has worked well. I got it years ago at West Marine (about $100?). Do a Google on it.
I don't think it's suitable for long trips on deep sand.

There's a product called "Wheel Aweigh" consisting of two wheels, rubber covered plastic "bunks," and straps. I use it on the beach and has worked well. I got it years ago at West Marine (about $100?). Do a Google on it.
I don't think it's suitable for long trips on deep sand.

Fred

I have made a pretty good dolly out of 3/4" galvanized pipe. I mounted 2 flanges about 2 feet apart on a piece of 4 X 4. I attached 2 - 5 foot lengths of the pipe to the flanges. I took 2 pieces of carpeted 2 X 6 and attached them to the 4 X 4 making small bunks to lift the hull from resting on the 4 x 4.

Next I routed a groove in the 4 x 4 and put in a 3/4" axle and stuck a wheel on each end. I used 6" lawnmower wheels but, wished I used the 10"

I joined the ends of the pipe with 2 lengths of aluminum angle that I had.
I screwed piece of carpeted 2 X 6 X 8 with wood glides at both ends to the center of the angle.

Two rachet straps, grab the bow handle and you are off and rolling. This is for a Minifish I would think that you could put a Sunfish on it with out any modifications.

Hope that this gives some ideas.

Back