Sunfish dock lift

One simple way is to run a line through the bow handle, lift the bow onto the edge of the dock, and pull on the line.

With a smooth rope, and a smooth bow handle (that acts like pulley), the effort on one's body to pull the boat up onto a 2-foot height dock is minimal.

Add a four-inch PVC handle, and the process is effortless. :cool:

In my case, I store the Sunfish right-side up, remove the inch-and-a -quarter rubber freeze plug, and let the rain wash the cockpit--rinsing all the evergreen needles out that the wind has brought in. (Raining and rinsing, just as it's doing at this very moment). :)

Thanks, L&VW, that's a nice and simple trick to get the Sunfish up on the dock. My dock is rather narrow, however, with a larger boat in the water on the other side. Storing the Sunfish on the dock itself makes access to the larger boat awkward. I'm looking for a device to store the Sunfish out over the water opposite the larger vessel. I could fabricate a lift of some sort, but would prefer to find one ready for installation.

I also have a simple ramp. A drain in the Sunfish transom works well on a ramp. You could fabricate a long, but simple front-hinged ramp with parallel bunks, install a swinging davit to lift the rear clear of the water.

Even a homemade cantilevered lift that floated at its waterline didn't work so well for me. (A 500-pound catamaran was too much weight to lift, even with a winch). :oops:

A floating dock I associate with tidal action. Or are you on a busy lake? Ruled out hydraulic lifts?

A neighbor with a Jet Ski dropped his trailer IN the lake and pulled the Jet Ski up on it. :confused:

If it were me, I'd sell the larger boat! ;)

We have an old hand crank jetski lift attached to our dock which is what I use during the summer. Not sure how well those would work on a floating doc or even how much they run for. Ours came with the dock and it is loud as heck.

Thanks, L&VW, that's a nice and simple trick to get the Sunfish up on the dock. My dock is rather narrow, however, with a larger boat in the water on the other side. Storing the Sunfish on the dock itself makes access to the larger boat awkward. I'm looking for a device to store the Sunfish out over the water opposite the larger vessel. I could fabricate a lift of some sort, but would prefer to find one ready for installation.
I understand. Maybe "less awkward"—Having pulled the Sunfish on the dock, would you have room by securing the rig, and tipping the Sunfish "up-on-edge", with the mast horizontal? (That is, securing the Sunfish on-edge to the dock's uprights).

Thanks, All. I've looked at various solutions on-line and seems a simple cantilevered pair of lifts to get just clear of the water will do it. We are tidal with a floating dock on San Francisco Bay. As for the larger boat, can't get rid of that! It gets my wife out on the water - she's not a sailor, but loves the Bay. It's my first stink-pot, having always sailed older woodies. But I have my Sunfish to zip around. And truth be known, I'm really enjoying the power boat too. Any excuse to be afloat - stink-pot or blow-boat.

Back