Sunfish Covers

Celtic_Tiger

I'm considering a cover from sailorstailor.com. They have a trailoring cover (I rarely need to do this and when I do its at low speed for about a mile) and a mooring cover. The mooring cover allows you leave the mast up. Further options include an extension on back that covers a kick-up rudder and extends far enough to cover the spars. Essentially this cover would allow you drop the spars and put the cover on with no need to de-rig. While this appeals to me from a less work perspective; I'm concerned that this would provide less protection for the boat. A zipper goes from mast to bow and it cinches at the mast; but would this allow water in the mast cup? Also any problem with leaving the rudder attached constantly under the weight of the cover? I'd like to have a cover that I can use year round (midwest...hot and sunny in the summer...cold and sometimes snow in the winter) If any of you have any experience with this cover or have any thoughts on this it would be appreciated.

I don't have that mooring cover. I have one from Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) which sounds very similar to the one you describe. On mine there is nothing to prevent water from enterring the mast socket.
I don't keep the booms, sail and rudder on the boat so I just tuck that flap back under the cover.

Thanks for the reply Offramp! I'm thinking of going with that cover because I think it will get me out on the lake more during the season (the beach where I keep it has virtually no theft or vandalism so I have the ability to leave it rigged if protected from the elements). I probably should flip and store upside down anyway during the winter when I take it off the beach.

I have one if these mast up covers and it works fine and keeps most of the water out. I am able to leave the sail on the boat and reduces the rigging time and hassle when you want to go sailing.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Back