Suggestions for new Vang, Outhaul and Cunningham Lines

Re: Vang, Outhaul and Cunningham Lines

Spectra for non handled bits and Maffiolli Swiftcord for handled bits. Don't go too thin or stuff will jump the blocks and jam between the block and the cheek.

Steve.

Spectra or anything else that's at least moderately strong. If you have the new upgrades with a lot of purchase, you should make sure that the line isn't stiff and is loose enough to run freely through all the purchases.

I am going to do a simple upgrade on the vang with the old cleat block and boom block and the addition of two 20mm blocks. I am also going to do a full upgrade on the outhaul (6:1) and cunningham (6:1) using Harken 16mm blocks and the Harken Extreme Angle Cams.

Here are the lines I am planning to use:

Vang: 6 meters (19.5 feet) of 3/16" (5mm) NewSwift

Outhaul:
Primary: 1.7 meters (5.5 feet) of 1/8" (3mm) Vectrus12
Secondary: 4.8 meters (15.75 feet) of 3/16" (5mm) Yale Lite
Shockcord: 1 meter (5.5 feet) of 1/4" (6mm) StretchCord

Cunningham:
Primary: 1 meter (3.3 feet) of 1/8" (3mm) Vectrus12
Secondary: 4 meters (13 feet) of 3/16" (5mm) Yale Lite

Please let me know if anything looks out of place here.

I have no idea what those lines are like, but If you can either ask the dealer or (preferably) go feel them somewhere, that's all you need. It's pretty obvious when you feel it how loose it is and how much it's going to loosen up. If it's a tight weave, it won't loosen up very well and it'll be stiff.

wait till the first good reggatta go up to the first place boat after 2 days and ask the guy what hes got he'll certainly be using good rope on his boat

Spectra for the purchases and Maffioli Swiftcord is used often for the lines you hold in your hand. Has anyone used Newswift yet?
I guess you could go for the 4 mm as well. I always prefer lines that are slightly thinner as it will run better...
APS does have a list with recommended lines online (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d90000/e87620.asp). I think those are good, but maybe people on this forum have better ones?
GWF

any opinions on 4mm vs. 5mm Swiftcord for control lines?

I'm going to order spools, and 4mm seems nice, but without a core, I'm afraid it might be pretty narrow and will creep in the cam cleats.

Newswift does come in 5mm, so I might do that....

WestCoast,

When you get a chance take a look at my control lines. Because I am pretty sure its 4 mm cover (after use its about 3 mm's thick) that works fine in the cam blocks. One does have to be careful because if you don't cleat the line even with a stopper not it flies right thru the capture cage on the front of the cam cleats. To fix this my cunningham line is extra long so that I can keep it uncleated just before rounding the weather mark.

181255 - to many over earlys on Sunday !!!!!

Hi George!

I use 4 mm swiftcord. It works great, I think. However, I mostly try to use lines with a smaller diameter than what everyone else uses (once my outhaul broke - this should not be an issue for the cleated lines). 5 mm is probably the standard, which should work fine and will probably ne used by the majority.
I am not sure about the newswift. As he name says, it is new (in ten years it will still be?) and it seems very few people have used it so far. I would experiment before buying a hole spool, unless the manufacturer recommends it for this specific purpose (do they?). Those lines are expensive and you don't want to get stuck with something no one likes.

GWF

GWF- sounds like pretty good advice. I might just go with 5mm. It seems to wear down a bit, and should be what the doctor ordered.

Back