Stuck in the wind

Gil

Bateau Blanc
When I am going windward into big winds, sometimes I am overpowered and stall in the wind and even go backward. 2 questions: 1) How do I avoid these situations, 2) what is the best/fastest way to get out of it and continue racing?

I suspect you are tacking too slowly. The boat wants to go head to wind. Make sure you are powered up and jam the tiller over. Don't be afraid of tacking too quickly. Once you get on the other tack you can ease the sail if necessary to avoid getting knocked down.

The best trick for getting out of head to wind is to pull the boom towards you like a windsurfer. You need to pay attention to the rudder angle, because you are either going to bear away(good) or tack(bad). Centering the rudder for a few seconds helps to develop lift which then allows you to steer. Rudders do not work without motion.

Reactions: Gil
tack faster and come out of the tack lower while hiking hard, also if there are waves, try to tack on the top of a wave

Watch Marc's tacks in this video, notice how he eases on the new tack,

the best way to get out of irons quickly is to:
1. ease the vang and sheet slightly
2. keep the tiller to one side as you start to move backwards
3. hike hard and pull the tiller to the other side
4. put the vang back on and hike hard

also remember that if you heel to leeward the boat will want to head up, flat is fast

Reactions: Gil

Back