stuck drain

ColdPass

Hello folks,
The drain in the bottom of my sunfish is currently too tight to loosen by hand. It's had a bit of water sit in it and I need to get it pulled to drain a bit easier.

Any tips? Would spraying it with WD-40, or Liquid Wrench help out the situation? I don't want to bring out the big wrenches as I worry I might damage the boat.

The boat is a 1974 model, and the drain and plug appear to be aluminum or some other non-ferrous metal.

I'd appreciate any advice.

I've loosened them with a pipe wrench. It will bite into the aluminum depending on how tight it is. Has it been there since 74? If so, you'd better plan on replacing the whole unit. This issue was covered about a month ago.

I just had the same issue. Use a hacksaw blade in a hand holder to cut the cap and nut off. You can get it off in about ten minutes and you won't risk damaging the hull.

Go to Wind Line Sails, http://www.windline.net/index.html , "How-To" section and Dan has directions for removing a stuck metal drain. Instead of a grinder, a Dremel Tool with a reinforced cut-off wheel will work just as nice, if not better, with more control and less heat reducing the chances of damaging your hull.

Back