Stratos vs Bahia

amorphia

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the Stratos (non-keel) and the Bahia, and I'd very much appreciate any help from anyone who knows anything either either of them. I've got a list of things that are important to me, perhaps people could help me work out which one fits the requirements best.

1. Outboard: I'll be launching on a lake that links to the sea through about four kilometers of under bridges and a lock system. So I'll need a motor to get on the sea (I won't be doing that all the time because the lake itself is big enough to sail). Both take an outboard, but it seems the Bahia wins here because it has a box where you can put the motor. Anyone know what you would do with the motor on a Stratos when you raise the sail and put the rudder in?

2. Single handed sailing: I weight about 90 kilos and I figure I could sail either of these boats with care, as long as it isn't blowing too much, right?

3. Wet bum factor: When I do go out with others, sometimes it will be inexperienced sailors who didn't realise getting wet was part of the point of dinghy sailing. Just from looking at pictures, it looks like you could maybe stay dryish in a Stratos if sailed carefully, but maybe not so well in a Bahia. Comments?

4. Winching ashore: I need to store the boat about 50 metres from the shore. I plan to use some of these: http://tinyurl.com/4g7n7f to get the boat onto a hand trailer single handed, with a winch. Is that unrealistic for the heavier Stratos at 190kg? By the way, this is the reason I don't think I can get the Stratos keel, otherwise I'd like one.

5. Mast raising: Because of those bridges, when I go to sea I'll want to be able to lower and raise the mast as quickly as possible, hopefully without having to redo all the rigging. Is this feasible on either boat? I figure this is a two person job - no way round that, right?

Any other general comments comparing these boats? I'm no so worried about speed or anything like that - this will mainly be just for fun sailing by myself or with family or friends, in the Stockholm archipelago. Thanks ever so much for any advice!

Cheers,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Any luck with your decision? I'm in a similar boat ( figuratively ) and have scheduled some test sails in a Stratos and Bahia for next week. If you're still interested I'll post my observations.

Happy Sailing,
Steve

Hi Steve,

in the end (without having even seen either boat except on the net) I decided to go for the Stratos. The main reason was simply that it seems to have sides which are a bit higher, and I would like to be able to take the family for leisurely sailing trips in the swedish autumn when it's a bit colder and not everyone wants to get soaked.

But I (and I guess lots of others also) would still be very interested to hear what you think after having compared the boats!

Cheers,

Ben

i am also interested in the matter... i think for touristic daysailing the stratos keel can be the best, but there is also a big difference in price of boats...

i wait for the follow up...

regards and ... good wind.

francesco rigo
italy

Back