Stowing Stuff?

Halfjack

Dad & Lad
I'd like to gather suggestions and photos as to what everybody carries in/on their Laser, and how they secure it. Especially, I'm trying to figure out how to manage water bottles, an oar, and possibly a log book. Does anybody carry walkie-talkies or cell phones (when not restricted)?

Please give me your thoughts and photos!

Thanks! :confused:

Don't have any photos, but you can tape a bike water bottle holder onto the lower mast for one. Tie a loop in a short, small diameter shock cord tied to the back of the hiking strap to hold another water bottle. There is a new product called Bottleport that holds a bottle in a standard inspection port - search here for references. APS carries them.

An inspection port can have a large barney bag inside, which carries a surprising amount of stuff, even a shell.

There may be some sort of stainless clip to hold a paddle / oar on the cockpit side. Seems like you would kick it at times.

I received a waterproof cell phone case from NRS for my birthday. The phone stays in the bag while it flips open, allowing you to dial and talk through the plastic. I figure if I really need a phone, I will also be in the water and taking it out of a case is out of the question.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=28421

Logs are heavy and I wouldn't recommend it. You could tow it I suppose, but then it will be wet and won't burn...

oh....book...

Forget the paddle, just learn how to rock and roll your way around when the wind dies - the most effective method (best speed thru the water) is standing in front of the mast, but you can also do it just straddling the deck at the cockpit.

In additions to the suggestions above, the use of a kayaking dry sack/bag works well, you can clip it the the back of the hiking strap and it's more or less out of the way back there...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Voyageur-Hurric...ew-NWT-30_W0QQitemZ400011947485QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the term, "dry bag", after I followed your link I searched on REI and found dozens - quite the variety - and actually waterproof (camera). Eventually I may try a bottleport or a cat bag, but some of these dry bags are too cheap not to give a chance...:)

Right now I'm thinking about mounting some kind of clip to the deck for my paddle, just forward of the footwell on one side or the other.

BTW, how does one go forward of the mast at all (let alone stand) without getting plunged into the depths?:eek:

BTW, how does one go forward of the mast at all (let alone stand) without getting plunged into the depths?:eek:

I can do it 50% of the time, which means I get wet EVERY time. ;)

You tilt the mast away from you and quickly step around on the high side.

on my boat where the toe strap ties to the back of the hull because it is one piece of rope tied with a reef knot it is perfect for a wateer bottle. for an oar i have a praddle (a one handed paddle) that i clip on to the dagger board retaining elastic and it sits on the bow.

and now i dont carry walkie talkies or cell phones if im racing but if im leisure sailing i will carry my mobile phone in a aquapak.

For my boat, I came up with a mesh bag that hangs from shock cord attached to the cockpit strips. I store water bottles, power bars, lunch and anything else I want to carry there. It's legal according to rule 21 and my wife sells them on her web site. www.teamfoxy.com

The other option is also shown in the picture which is an inspection port with Fat bag. This is good for things that shouldn't get wet and they don't unless your hull leaks.

Attachments

• Cockpit_Bag.jpg
    Cockpit_Bag.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 47
Just drill two holes through the grab rail in the back of the cockpit, push a shock cord through them an tie the ends to a knot, then place the bottle through the loops. Voila.
Is drilling holes in the grab rail to attach shock cord for holding a water bottle legal?

Back