Storm Covers

If the hole has a mesh on it, I think its goes over the autobailer to allow water to drain if water gets in the cockpit.

Storm covers sold via Vanguard are made by North Sails. The hole in the bottom cover is a drain hole.

Several folks got them at our club and they have not lasted long at all. Look at the Colie brand.

So that's why they've been giving them away with new boat purchases! I knew there was a catch. The storm deck cover I got as a promo with my new boat isn't very durable, but it does keep dirt and highway-rock-dings from marring the deck when I trailer the boat the 20 odd miles to/from my boat club.

I've had my Storm covers on my boat all Massachusetts winter long and they still look like new. And they don't "give" them away with new boat purchases, during the Free Gear program you have a choice between the two covers plus a blade bag, a dolly, or a second sail.

Freinds at my club have APS, Colie, and Storm covers, all are made with almost the same material and same thickness to my eyes and touch.

I have a APS bottom cover and a storm top cover. The APS covers are a lot nicer and are made of a thicker material. Im not too happy with the storm cover, just wait untill it sits out in the sun for the summer season then you will see how cheap they are made.

43575 said:
I have a APS bottom cover and a storm top cover. The APS covers are a lot nicer and are made of a thicker material. Im not too happy with the storm cover, just wait untill it sits out in the sun for the summer season then you will see how cheap they are made.
I have the APS top cover too. I put 303 canvas conditioner on it, and it made it just fine through the summer. The 303 is available at West Marine, and it would probably help all covers last longer. You just spritz it on and wipe it around.

Merrily

I don't see a difference between a freebie and a "Free Gear Program." I didn't pay a dime for my Storm covers, and they were acquired through the "Free Gear Program." Perhaps in this age when right wing reactionaries are whacking away at our liberties, free has taken on a new meaning. Is there a semantics sub-list we can take this thread to? LOL

The Storm covers are very thin; mine already have some tears and I am generally very careful when I put them on and off.

Its the sun that really gets the storm covers. I had a top cover from Sailors Tailor and it lasted a solid 10 years, (still going I think). Get more than one winter of wear on that cover before comparing.

Back