Stopping sail chafe on port tack?

Fred P

When I'm on port tack the bottom of the sail hangs down against the mast and the gooseneck and tends to chafe. Anybody got a fix other than applying sail tape over that sail area?
Thanks,
Fred

I'm trying to picture this. It sounds like the sail is severly blown out. Not a big deal if you are out for fun, but this sail is well past it's prime, is my guess.

The sail is brand new class approved! That's why I'm trying to keep it from chafing. Uphaul is tight and so is outhaul. The sail bags all along the boom, especially in light wind.

Fred

Sounds like your outhaul may be way too tight and you are inducing a big wrinkle along the foot of the sail. The outhaul should barely be snug for normal conditions. When it gets windy you tighten it way up, but the wind will blow that wrinkle out and solve your problem. BB:(

Man, that's REALLY tight. Also make sure the goosenck is down where it's supposed to be. Rig the halyard/vang?

Not only what's been posted but if you leave the outhaul/cunningham that tight during storage figure on stretching out the sail to uselessness in a season.
Been there done that, expensive lesson.

Also, if you have a sail tie or clip near the gooseneck try removing it. I do not have a sail tie near the gooseneck at all. One reason is for adjusting the gooseneck and the other is the chaffing.

Back