Starting Line Aggression

rock steady

This thread intially started from a comment made by MEE168:

Can I asked a question? Are sailors usually aggressive at the start line? I know you gotta be aggressive to get a good start.
But do they go to the extend of getting vulgar/ill-mannered; if for example, someone's boat accidentally/uncontrollably knock into someone infront and that person got so angry that he shouted foul words at the other guy?
It can be pretty un-sportsman if such thing happened. Just checking out with you people.... :0

I thougt the topic should warrent it's own thread, as Laser regatta starts are known to be some of the most aggressive around. How do people deal with starting line aggression? Do you involve yourself in yelling and screaming at other competitors to get a good start? What is the best way to re-buff an angry competitor on the course? How do you stay focussed on your own race?

Not only at the start but anywhere around the course you will encounter some nuthead, who thinks he (I have never encountered a "she" who does this!) can win the race from you by randomly quoting some racing rules.

First tip: stay away from those guys. They will find someone else to yell at and it is too much of a distraction when you are trying to sail a race.

Second tip: when you do encounter this aggression (it is unavoidable) do not get into an argument with them. Anything you say will be countered with more yelling.

Third tip: Ignore the yelling of the other person if you are following the rules. You want to concentrate upon the race, not upon the rage of this other guy. On the other hand, when you made a mistake, immediately take up your responsibility, appologize and do your turns.

fourth tip: Keep in mind that people can take on a different personality when they are in a race. It is often with the nutheads that you will get into a bad situation and you are not sure who will win a protest, even when you think you were right. On shore it might be easy to settle it with a beer when this person has regained his other personality

fifth tip: we all need some aggresion in order to make a good start. Turn it into your sailing, not into foul language. You might be able to intimidate a couple of people, but ultimately it will distract you. Of course, if you need another boat to move up, let them know that very clearly.

sixth: the best sailors are not those who whine and yell. Mosly the person whom you hardly notice and who knows how to stay out of trouble will do very well.

GWF

Frankly, I find this more common at the local level. At the big events, it seems limited to someone looking to "take too much" getting verbally warned off. At big events, the competitors seem to respect one another more, and most folks can judge the necessary distances better. Also, there is a recognition that the riskier position in which you put yourself, the less likelihood you have for success, so no need to blame anyone else. Sure, there's some "information exchanged" at the favored end, and it may be "salty", but far from pure invective.

The starting gap to leward is what usually causes this. Dont mess with a champ, they will roll you off the line even if you do take their hole.

Grabbing onto the other guy's boom vang because he just barged in between you and the committee boat and is now rolling his sail and boom across your back is not considered to be acceptable behavior.
Also, as the rest of the fleet sails across the line, deciding to teach the guy a lesson, letting go of your sail and holding on to that vang while the guy tries to individually pry your fingers off, is not a behavior which is supported by even the best of your friends.
Loud cussing between the two of you impresses no one.
Laser sailors are pretty cool guys. After both of you drop from the race and sail in side by side, and after a few beers, it is possible to come out of the experience as friends.

I have personally seen yelling mor common among the adults when we have regatta's with mixed ages. And remember you can be protested if you make foul comments at someone and be thrown out of the race.
Sam

rock steady said:
This thread intially started from a comment made by MEE168:

Can I asked a question? Are sailors usually aggressive at the start line? I know you gotta be aggressive to get a good start.
But do they go to the extend of getting vulgar/ill-mannered; if for example, someone's boat accidentally/uncontrollably knock into someone infront and that person got so angry that he shouted foul words at the other guy?
It can be pretty un-sportsman if such thing happened. Just checking out with you people.... :0

I thougt the topic should warrent it's own thread, as Laser regatta starts are known to be some of the most aggressive around. How do people deal with starting line aggression? Do you involve yourself in yelling and screaming at other competitors to get a good start? What is the best way to re-buff an angry competitor on the course? How do you stay focussed on your own race?

Good question. I usually gybe, pretend to stuff up and run out of control straight at them. After which I apologise and tell them I'm training for the Olympics.

rock steady said:
How do people deal with starting line aggression? Do you involve yourself in yelling and screaming at other competitors to get a good start? What is the best way to re-buff an angry competitor on the course? How do you stay focussed on your own race?

Hey, rock steady!! Thanks a million, a trillion, a zillion... It took me a while to realise that this thread was initiated from my start line question the other time.

The above doubts that you raised were exactly in my thought even till now.. I know people shout and turn ill-mannered, but I am definitely not going to be like them because what is the whole point of doing that? So barbarian. We should all treat sailing/racing as a sport itself and not to make it turn ugly. But I do hope to learn some good ways to deal with this yellers and make them realise their own doings while I continue to enjoy my race and leave them wondering... Haa haa haa..

I think aggressive might be too strong a word.......I would say assertive. Aggressive people tend to yell, bump, etc., essentially everything already mentioned. Assertive people will be very good about getting to where they want to be on the line without displaying aggressive(as with a negative connotation, vulgar) behavior. Assertive people will be nice about everything, up to and including the time where you foul them, steal their air, or take their spot.

The starts at the 125 Nationals were pretty aggressive. I don't think we had one race where at least one boat didn't get pushed up and over the line. We had so many broken starts that in the end the committee brought in the black-flag rule. However, that made those particular starts even more aggressive cause everyone was abusing anyone who tried to push them up.

Most startlines I've been on are usually fairly aggressive. Just because everyone is jostling for the best position.

You've just got to find a hole and put your boat into it. If people abuse you then forget about it and concentrate on the rest of the race. If necessary you can discuss it after the race is over.

Back