Starting a New Sailor

gouvernail

Super Opinionated and Always Correct
Today, January 29 with the sun shining and the temperature above 80 F (28 C), I met a fellow at the lake and helped him rig and launch his new to him Radial.
The wind was the sort that makes ripples all over the lake without making any waves.
It was a perfect day for a J-22 sailor to get his first ride on a Laser. Lasers and virtually all sailboats simply function in light steady wind. They go upwind, downwind and turn with virtually no chance at capsize or any other form of trouble.
He had a great time.
Now what?
Our Texas sailing season where we have organized Laser events will not begin again for a couple months. There will be lots of nice days between then and now. How should we use them?

I think the situation or similar for beginners happens all over the planet and I think we often do not get it right from here. I mean, if the sailor does not sail from now until he dies, I will think we missed something or got it wrong. Lots of sailors make it this close to fun and do not continue. I do not want to get this one wrong.

Wrong for him? >>> He would miss the great opportunities of a lifetime of sailing

Wrong for us>>> We would lose a friend and fellow competitor.

Summary >>
We found a new potential lifetime sailor. We got him to the Lake. We even got him to invest in a toy of his own.

My questions to the forum>>>

What should our Austin gang do to help this fellow begin years and years of fun Laser sailing?

How can fleets all over the planet do those or similar things?

I think you've done pretty much the right thing by being helpful, friendly and welcoming. Thinking back to when I started 4-5 years ago, it was having people at the club who helped out when launching and recovering that made all the difference - took away the fear factor. That and getting involved in a club itself, which also made the difference - people around to help you set up, people to race against - if you're into racing - and people to have a tea/coffee/beer/cake (delete as appropriate) with afterwards, and talk it all through.

Some people finds clubs intimidating - they're often perceived as cliquey - and walking into a room full of strangers, who all speak using a strange vocabulary, is pretty scary. So developing a "new sailors aware" culture is also important, but again, just by being welcoming and friendly is most of what it takes.

From a club perspective, we have sail training courses for newbies, and new sailor weekends with lots of sailing and social events, so people can meet and sail with people of similar experience. But it can be hard in the "close" season when ther are fewer people around.

Incidentally, how can you be in a close season where it's 80F and nice light winds??? Sound perfect, and very enviable. Here's it's blowing 25-30 knots, there's 4 foot waves crashing on the beach and it's only just finished snowing....

Memo to self: must relocate to Texas asap...

Good luck - I hope he remains as hooked as I was..

Let him know there are quite a few of us who have relatively recently taken up Lasering in this area; I'm an 18 month old previously sailing naive Radial sailor. I'd love to have another Radial newbie to sail against/with, so tell him about me, encourage him to come down to Seabrook, and that I'll be doing whatever Austin/New Braunfels regattas I can squeeze in. At SSC, I know of at least two others besides myself new to Lasering. I'm sure Fishingmickey and the bunch at LCYC will make him welcome as well. At SSC, we're having a Laser clinic on March 5, and it'd be a great opportunity for a newbie to get in a full day of workshopping and sailing.

I like how you change your location!! Cesspool YC..lol.

As far as the topic... I'm not sure but, being helpful, as a group, is always a good start. I think you gave him a good start!! Now lets give Fred a brownie..LOL. Seriously... that was nice of you.

DaveK

If he/she is going wants to race , loan them a book/DVD or two specific to Laser sailing. It's not the same as time on the water, but keeps them thinking about the boat even when they're sitting on the loo.

Depending on the personality, some people have to be cajoled into attending the non sailing part of the lifestyle, others are the life of the party. It's important to identify the reticent ones and focus on getting them to the cookouts, parties etc.

With the nice weather between now and the start of your next racing season, what about a couple of weekend half or full day sessions, where you can invite a small group of similar skill level and provide some personal training/help.

From my experience they need to be hooked up with folks at the same level so they can work together to improve with active help and encouragement from the front of the fleet. An impromtu clinic or practice day is always good too. The sensibility that we are all working on improving our sailing abilities is infectious/

Speaking out of personal experience:

1.) be understanding: we did not have parents standing on the beach watching us in our Opti's at the age of 8. :rolleyes: As an adult beginner in the Laser, the learning curve can be quite a challenge both mentally and physically.

2.) be responsive: Please ensure your clubs are responding to inquiries. I have applied for memberships at clubs only never to have received any sort of reply. Same holds for some Laser training centers...nada. Very disheartening as one tries to understand the system/network.

3.) be encouraging/inclusive: invite the new "kids" on the block to sail with you! We do learn by sailing next/behind you and it is most appreciated!

Back