Stand-up block question

I just installed a new mainsheet block. I bought a spring to go with it, but it was hard to install. Instead, I cut a section of foam pipe insulation and put that around the shackle and the eyestrap, and secured it by wrapping some duct tape around the outside. It does a great job of holding the block upright, and allows it to pivot easily. Question: the rules don't say you can use pipe insulation. Does that mean it's illegal?

John

i hate installing those stupid springs, i had to do it eight times last year on our boats at my club for our lessons

If you have to do eight blocks, you really need pipe insulation. A 1.5 inch section is plenty. Six feet of insulation is only $4 at Ace Hardware. My instant calculation says you can do 48 blocks from one length of insulation!! But is it legal?

John

I too have my ratchet block supported by pipe insulation and duct tape, and I found it much better than the spring. However, to my shame, I never actually thought to check whether it was legal or not, I guess I just assumed it would be!

However, as I suspect you have already seen, Rule 3.C.iii states:

"The block may be supported by a spring, ball, plastic tube or tape."

This does therefore suggest that it is illegal, as it is not specifically allowed by the rules.

Incidentally, I find if you use one of the shackles that need a screw driver to do it up, rather than a normal shackle, it is a lot easier to instal a spring, as you don't have to keep the spring out of the way when you do the shackle up, you just pass the screwdriver through the spring.

That seems like a risky game to play. I've never heard foam referred to as plastic. But I've also never played rule games much so I might just be clueless.:rolleyes:

This is indeed a foggy area. As a chemist in my former life, I would say that there is a continuum between plastics and foams. Both are polymers; foams just have tiny 'bubbles' in them.

Whatever my opinion, it would be nice to get an 'official' ruling on this. Posting your question in the Class Politics section might help, although it seems that the measurer(s) don't ever respond to issues raised over there.

Using foam pipe insulation won't give you a racing advantage and should be fine for club racing, IMHO.

I can't imagine how pipe insulation wouldn't be considered a "plastic tube". :confused:

It's made of plastic foam, and it's tubular. How much more like "plastic tube" can you get?

I mean, my Harken plastic standup thingie is way not "tube like" (except in a strictly topological sense), and I think it's legal.

My guess is that they (the class) may revisit the wording sometime in the near future as the new Ronstan Orbit block has a flexible rubber piece used in place of a standup spring... http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e277577.asp

You may be able to hasten the process somewhat if you post your question about the legality of the pipe insulation and the Ronstan boot over in the measurer's forum

I guess it would be down to "interpretation". The rules allow a spring (and other things). However, they do not say what the spring should or can be made of. Thus, you could argue that your string is made of foam tube/pipe (i.e. you have a spring rather than a plastic tube). Same for the Ronstan rubber thing. You could argue that the rubber thing is in fact a spring and thus things like tape, balls and plastic pipe are not relevant.

Don't know if a measurer would see things the same way - but I expect that at worst they would tell you to change it (as you would hardly have gained an unfair advantage in the preceding races and you have a justification for your system).

Ian

If it doesnt specifically say pipe insulation is okay, then its illegal.

Hey, Im just saying what you guys have been telling me, those are "your" words....oh, and its cheating.... : )

I'll take it out this weekend and try my new system, taking the risk that someone will accuse me of cheating. That's not likely, though, especially if I finish in the back of the fleet. If pipe insulation works and I like it, I'll ask the measurers for their opinion.

Back