Stamp it!

iain_CAN165061

I was in my basement shaving down my hockey stick, when I found this stamp (see attachment) on the table. It looked like a laser, and I read about the stamp on the net and it is a laser. So I just thought some of you might be interested in it. Heres some information I found:

Postal Administration: Canada

Title: Sailing Dinghy

Denomination: 40¢

Date of Issue: 18 July 1991

Series: Small Craft, Pleasure Craft

Series Year (inclusive dates): 1989-1991

Historical Notice: The third and final set of stamps in the Small Craft series - Pleasure Craft - will be issued on July 18, 1991. While the first two sets in the series focussed on boats as essential modes of transportation and commerce, this last segment displays how boats have evolved into a recreational pastime for millions of Canadians. As Canada is bounded by three oceans and is blessed with a large network of inland and rivers, it is not surprising that the mode of transportation which originally opened up this vast country to the Voyageurs is now a pleasurable sporting activity. The sailing dinghy known as the Laser is the creation of Bruce Kirby and Ian Bruce, constructed in 1970 as a prototype for an American regatta. They wanted a small, portable, two-purpose boat: a pleasure craft and a racing machine. They achieved it. The centreboard, the rudder, and other equipment were designed to suit both the novice and the expert. The stamps were designed by Louis-André Rivard and Bernard Leduc, who combined the transversal frame design of each boat in the foreground with a relevant scenic background.

PS I don’t see your country’s stamps with Lasers on them. Go Canada eh?

Attachments

• stamp.jpg
    stamp.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 91
Apparently the Laser's on quite a few stamps. I collected stamps as a kid, and your post got me reinterested in restarting my collection. I have found some blocks of the Canada stamp, and found two other stamps with Lasers on them; see the pix. I'm keeping my eyes out for others, so if anyone knows of any tell me about them, please.
On a related note, what kind of market might there be for framed stamps that feature Lasers? Cool gifts for a favorite Laserite? :cool:

Attachments

• Anguilla Laser Stamp.jpg
    Anguilla Laser Stamp.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Brazil Laser Stamp.jpg
    Brazil Laser Stamp.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 48
  • CanadaLaserstamp1317-1320-2x2.JPG
    CanadaLaserstamp1317-1320-2x2.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 43
I just got this New Zealand stamp. I have a feeling I'm going to be discovering more.

Attachments

• NZ Laser Stamp.jpg
    NZ Laser Stamp.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 46

Back