Stainless steel disk for mast tube??

So I know that I need one of the disks on the base of the mast in my Laser. Here is the difficulty. The local Laser dealer appears to not know what I am talking about. He also appears to not be interested in helping. Is it legal to get a plate of SS and make my own? Or is it like all the Laser stuff where I have to spend a premium price to get the Laser approved $$ product.

I believe class rules are strict in regards to the plate, so I'd recomend getting a class-legal one to be safe. Your laser dealer doesn't sound terribley knowledgeable :(

I believe I paid around $8CAD for mine after a dicsount, they were normally ~$13.

Annapolis Performance Sailing sails the "Laser Mast Step Wear Plate" for $8.10. It can be found on their website at www.apsltd.com under the section Laser Spars Fittings and Sails. I recently purchased a used Laser and the gelcoat at the bottom of the mast tube was completely worn away. I fixed the tube by first pouring a bit of gelcoat at the bottom to seal the fiberglass. I then later fixed the mast step wear plate to the bottom using 3M 5200.

i have seen different types of wear plates online (carbon fiber extra slippery blah blah blah) and so i would assume anything would do, but honestly, how are they gonna know?

stevo_sails_up said:
i have seen different types of wear plates online (carbon fiber extra slippery blah blah blah) and so i would assume anything would do,...
Hi
The stainless steel disc is for preventing that the mast "goes though" the base maststep aft many years of use. Like it is discussed some while before: newer hulls (Vanguard, PSE, etc.: since the beginning of the 90ties) do already have this disc inside of the maststep. For my old lady 46438 I went to a local factory, that produces goods, made out of stainless steel. They made such discs for me for just 3 Euros. Diameter: 64 mm, 1 mm "high". They made some more, so, that my friends at the local Laserfleet have been happy, too, in that problem.
I did glue that disc into the mast step with "Stabilit Expres" from "Henkel", because in GER we not easy can get that stuff of West Marine (we have some stuff of them, but not that what is to use here). Do not use the stainless steel disc inside of the maststep, if this disc is not really fixed there with a "what ever you want to use"-glue, please. Such a "non fixed" stainless steel disc do "rubber up" the base of the maststep, too.

The carbo-disc (the thin black one) and the PTFE-disc (this soft white one) [both are sold in the UK by "C2 Marine" and are exact the same stuff APS-Ltd offers] ONLY are used to minder the friction and allow the mast to rotate easier inside of the maststep. Also, the "mast-wearing-tape/strips" are used for mindering the friction inside of the masttube related to the mast. Using both (Carbo- AND PTFE-disc) at the same time is not permitted by the actual ILCA By-Laws. This, of course, has nothing to do with those discs made out of stainless steel.
Thats it
Ciao
LooserLu

Back